Best place in the world to be a dive instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I realize that I’m asking a very subjective question here. But I was hoping I might get some insightful responses from well-traveled posters.

I am American, 30 and single. I’m a new PADI OWSI. I’m getting a Masters Degree in Hospitality Management. And it’s my dream to be an instructor and run/help run a (hopefully dive) resort for the rest of my days.

Things I’m looking for in terms of location..

1) I’d like to be somewhere for the rest of my life. I’d like to have a family. Somewhere that isn’t bonkers expensive. But somewhere that’s reasonably well developed. Somewhere that’s safe and not crime-ridden. Don’t need open-heart surgery, but good hospitals. Don’t need my kids to go to Yale, but with schools that will teach them the basics. Place with nice fit women who are kind to American men. And I don’t need to be rich, but a place where I can make a nice living in the Diving/Hospitality field.. have a house, food on the table, not be stressed for cash.

2) Best diving in the world — or as close as I can get to it. Generally speaking, you always hear people talk about the South Pacific when it comes to this.. but maybe its elsewhere. Nice, pristine, healthy corals and fish life. Big pelagics — whales, whale sharks, seals, dolphins, manatees/dugongs, sharks, mantas, etc. Warm water. Maybe some good caves.

Would LOVE to hear any feedback :)

Thank you in advance!

28°25'10.8"N 81°34'52.3"W

Just trying to be funny. I'm looking forward to the responses to your question, since I've wondered the same thing, but considered for a retirement career, where I can teach for fun, not for livelihood.

Yeah. Thats why I figured the Hospitality masters would be a good idea. Running a resort / boat whatever that has diving.. as opposed to being one of everyone who doesnt make any money at a shop

28°25'10.8"N 81°34'52.3"W

Just trying to be funny. I'm looking forward to the responses to your question, since I've wondered the same thing, but considered for a retirement career, where I can teach for fun, not for livelihood.

You lost me at " nice fit women being kind to men" lol..IF I HAD TO HANG MY HAT ON THIS STATEMENT.....I'd go to either Thailand or the Phillipines hands down. Not that there isn't more places to consider, but.....Wish I had three lives :(

somewhere for the rest of my life.
have a family.
isn’t bonkers expensive.
reasonably well developed.
that’s safe and not crime-ridden.
good hospitals.
kids to go to Yale
Place with nice fit women
And I don’t need to be rich,
Re-Read what you wrote above and it's so easy and simple to check off EVERY SINGLE item.

You need to Join the Navy !!

Vancouver Island might work.

-Not bonkers expensive, if you stay away from Victoria. The forestry industry has been dying for the last 30 years, you can buy a place in one of those little north-island towns for nothing these days.
-Reasonably well developed, for most definitions of "reasonable". Not third world anyway; the RCMP, Medicare, and the BC school system are about as good as you will find anywhere.
-Place with nice fit women who are kind to American men? Your mileage may vary, a lot. Being nice, fit, and kind yourself will go a long way.
-Place where I can make a nice living in the Diving/Hospitality field? There's a few other operators around, and I think God's Pocket is for sale right now. Seems to me there's room for growth in the industry, especially now that we're down to zero remaining liveaboards.
-Best diving in the world, if you're willing to be a cold water diver. The water is rich and there's a lot to see, but that's a really big "if" for most folks; it's different from the Caribbean experience. Cold, low vis, strong current, bad weather: your customers need to be a bit tougher and more adventurous, not to mention better trained and equipped. Those customers do exist and need to dive with someone, why not you?

I'm an ice diver, lol. But even "cold" water diving's too cold for me looking ahead lol

Years ago, i worked in Cozumel (and around the region), and I had a few opportunities come my way to relocate and work in the Caymans, the Florida keys, and Mexico's west coast, but after looking into it, and talking to numerous folks that had experience in these and many other places, I came to the conclusion that I was already in what was pretty close to the ideal location to be a dive instructor.
It meets nearly all the above criteria, with the obvious exception being quality of medical care (but that's likely to be the case with every other good diving location, but Florida).
All the plusses that come to mind (or at least were at the time) are......
- "nice fit women that are kind to Americans".
- English is widely spoken, but it also has a language that's fairly easy to learn (and a highly useful one, in many other places).
- It's not a $2000, 30-hr journey back to the states.
- being an island, they maintain better law and order better than on the mainland, yet it doesn't generally have the insane prices seen on more remote islands ( like hawaii, caymans,etc.).
- it's got a vibrant, nearly year round tourism industry, with other interesting places very nearby.
- it's not insanely overpopulated.
- There's a Costco and Sams Club is the area.
- this may have changed, but at the time it seemed that instructors could make and save money better than in many other localles.
- and before I forget, "nice fit women that are kind to Americans". :D

Back
Top Bottom