Best Place in SE Asia to take a dive master class in Feb/March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveG781

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello I am looking for a good place in SE Asia to take my dive master class, that not only has good diving but also life above the water. I originally had somewhere around Bali in mind but it seems like a bad time of year to do it there? I have dove a bunch in Thailand and Vietnam and I am looking for somewhere new. Maybe in the Philippines somewhere? Boracay?
What do you recommend? Has anyone been diving around Bali in February? I currently can't do much online research on the subject for I am working on a ship with very slow internet, when it works FYI

Thanks
Steve

I did my Divemaster training (December 2016) in Koh Tao with Simple Life Divers. Highly recommended. Good nightlife, inexpensive cost of living and course fees. Nice dive sites.

Good luck

GJS

The real question is do you want to learn properly how to be a Dive Master or are you just wanting to party. The two don't really mix.

Agreed; those that were enjoying the lifestyle in Koh Tao took a long time to progress through the Divemaster requirements. Instead of partying nightly, they could be completing their DM course and moving on to their instructor certification. But you are only young once.

GJS

Fisheye Divers, Boracay. Good folks. Good experience. There are easy, and there are high current, advanced dives there.

I have dived in Bali in February and had no problem with the weather.

If it was me I would go to either Malapascua in the Philippines or Gili air in Indonesia because of the marine life and the beautiful beaches.

Puerto Galera in Philippines and there is no need to worry about divine intervention ie. typhoon in Feb/Mar.
Diving in Malapascua is very good but this small isolated island is very quiet in the evening.

For the Philippines, forget Boracay - the diving is relatively insipid.

Moalboal (Savedra Divers) is a good option....but it's quieter on the nightlife side.

Some good schools in PG also... I'd recommend those that also teach tech programmes.. as this shows the instructor expertise you'll be learning from.

Even here in Subic Bay you can do a great DM course... if wrecks (and tech!) is something you enjoy. The environment and standard of dives/divers builds serious DM ability. Arizona Dive Center has a very good DM programme there.

Koh Tao is a millennial party paradise... but you'll be tested to find a centre that'll train you to a DM standard that carries any serious reputation outside of the Koh Tao diving bubble.

Koh Tao is a millennial party paradise... but you'll be tested to find a centre that'll train you to a DM standard that carries any serious reputation outside of the Koh Tao diving bubble.

This one sentence makes me reconsider Koh Tao as an option...
I am looking at Divemaster then IDC courses and thought that Koh Tao would be a good option to gain valuable experience before moving on...

Back
Top Bottom