Best Open-Heel Barefoot Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I'm looking for a comfortable barefoot, open-heeled fin that I can put spring straps on..

1) Something that's equally or negatively buoyant, as I have floaty feet.
2) That's strong enough for rough currents.. but not so stiff as to hurt my knees and back.
3) And that's great to frog-kick in.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
I love my scuba pro Go's, they even come with bungee straps. I use them for all my warm water dives.

Easy to frog kick. I can back kick in these better than in my Mares quatros whicj I use for cold water.

They do have a smaller than average blade size compared to many others which I prefer but you may not. I use the XL size but with each smaller size the blade size decreases rapidly. If you have small feet the blade might be much too small. The blade is also stiffer than average.

Last edited:
Thank you! They look awesome. The size chart is a bit weird though. It says "M-L" for US shoe size 8, 9 and 10. I'm a size 9.5. So I guess I'd probably want to go with the large.

What size shoe are you, using the XL's?

I love my scuba pro Go's, they even come with bungee straps. I use them for all my warm water dives.

Easy to frog kick. I can back kick in these better than in my Mares quatros whicj I use for cold water.

They do have a smaller than average blade size compared to many others which I prefer but you may not. I use the XL size but with each smaller size the blade size decreases rapidly. If you have small feet the blade might be much too small. The blade is also stiffer than average.

1) Something that's equally or negatively buoyant, as I have floaty feet.

I use the Scubapro GO as a travel fin. Very comfortable on a bare foot.

They are positively bouyant. Not by much, but not negative or neutral.

I'll check mine tomorrow in fresh water at the pool. I think they are close to neutral there. I'm a long way from warm salt water at the moment.

Mine float in the pool

It is my impression, that the footpockets which are made with an adjustable heel strap are intended to be worn with a dive boot of some sort. I would be concerned about abrasion and over all comfort associated with extensive barefoot diving in an open heel fin.

We sell only closed heel (full foot) fins and they can be worn barefoot, however I think a majority of divers will use a neoprene sock or possibly a nylon or lycra sock to address comfort - even if the water is warm enough to dive barefoot.

If a fin pocket is designed to handle a dive "boot" with a significant sole, it seems unlikely that this will not compromise barefoot comfort.

I don't claim to be familiar with all the possible fins on the market, but the comfort issue may be a problem unless you use the fin on an infrequent basis. Consecutive days in the water really seems to soften up the skin and magnify the slightest friction spot.

If your heart is set on a spring heel strap, perhaps consider wearing a thin neoprene sock underneath?

I recently did 19 dives in 5 days on a liveaboard with the Scubapro Gos - no issues with comfort - they are quite good for barefoot, not designed for a boot. Your feet may be different.

Depending on your budget, ForceFin’s Accelerating with felt comfort instep may be suitable, or the Pro. You can find Pros on ebay. I have the Pro and use it barefoot with the instep in the pool for skin diving practice. Frog, helicopter are easy. Reverse is fine for me, but I am not doing caves. Using a casual walking effort flutter, I've held station alongside big fish against current that had everyone else sheltered in rock crevices, and I'm only in desk bound decent shape. The Accelerating is better for reverse and is more powerful. Their kick is very easy on the knees. They come with bungee cords over a felt heel pad. Pro is slightly negative in fresh water and small for travel, 3lb. 6.7oz a pair and 17 x 12 x 4.2” each.

Open heel are nice, but why barefoot? Fast on/off seems to go with surf entry which does not play well with bare feet except on pristine beaches; even small booties are good for boat decks. Barefoot seems to go more with full heel and careful mechanics for freediving fins. Or just less gear to change into which is cool.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom