Best of the Best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABlue

Reaction score
Can you help me gather info about Riviera Maya?

- Best time to go?
- Hurricane season?
- Good DC? Was considering Dressel.
- Cost of living? How much (average for meals and tours....?)
- Usual tips for DM?
- Water/air temperature?

ABlue:
Can you help me gather info about Riviera Maya?

- Best time to go?
- Hurricane season?
- Good DC? Was considering Dressel.
- Cost of living? How much (average for meals and tours....?)
- Usual tips for DM?
- Water/air temperature?

Best time to go can be a little subjective. Personally I would travel to this area the first 3 weeks of December or January. My second choice would be in May. I suggest this because of the weather (starting to cool off and not much wind) in December and January is very nice and there are really no crowds. My second choice is based on the same reasons.

Hurricane season is from June till November.

Good DC - hmmm. I tend to stay away from the onsite hotel DC's because of price and style of diving. YMMV.

Cost of living: Typical half day tours run around 65.00/person and a full day tour can be as much as $135.00 pp. Most main courses run between 10.00 (pasta) to 25.00 (steak and seafood). Wine around 18.00 and up per bottle and beer is between 2.00 and 5.00 per bottle. You can do lunch for as little as 4.00 pp at a good road side taco stand or between 8.00 and 15.00 pp at one of many good eateries.

Tips: From $5.00 pp per day to 5.00 and up pp per dive, depends on the service.

Water and air temps: check out this link: Air temps or Water Temps

I hope this helps,

Dennis

One school of thought says summer is the best time to go. The water is warmer and generally clearer, the crowds are gone, and things are cheaper. Of course, that's also hurricane season, which is why it's cheaper and the crowds are gone. I went in January last year and it was pretty nice, it got windy and they closed the port in Playa one day, but I was diving cenotes or sight-seeing on land that day anyway. I've been to Cozumel several times in February and the weather has always been pretty good.

I like Tank Ha in Playa. It is a good operation with slightly larger boats so you have some room, but they still take small groups. Abyss would be a second choice. Yucatek has a good operation. I used them for cenotes, but have not used them for ocean diving.

Food and beverages can be really cheap in the Riviera Maya or fairly expensive, depending on how you do things. There are some pretty expensive high-end restaurants in Playa, but there are lots of great cheap options as well. Very nice hotel rooms can be found for reasonable prices. We got the nicest room at Hotel la Tortuga in Playa for about $140/night, including tax and breakfast. It was a deal where you pay for six nights and get the seventh free and they offered a discount (I think 10%) when I sent an email to inquire about availability. The standard rooms probably would have been less than $100/night. There are nice hotels for less, and some really inexpensive hotels. Tulum has a number of very inexpensive places.

I usually tip about $5 per tank per person.

Water temps are usually right around 78 in January and February. I understand it's up to 82-84 in the summer. Air temps in January and February are usually in the 80's, although it can get cool in the evening and sometimes during the day.

Thanls guys.

Of course you mean us dollars right? Not pesos...

Plus, is it a safe region? Can you safely go out at night anywhere?

Just another question, all the DC have Nitrox? For free or extra charge?

Yes, I was referring to USD not pesos. Good question, since they use the same "$" symbol. I think the websites for all the dive operators price in USD, at least the English-language sites. When you are in Mexico, lots of tourist-oriented businesses, like dive operators, post prices in USD. They often mark it as "USD" or "USD $." If you're not sure, ask. Most, if not all, operators offer nitrox but it is always an extra charge. It's usually $10-12 per tank. You may be able to get a package deal on nitrox for a week to bring the cost down.

Generally, it is very safe. It is probably not a good idea, however, to be out driving on the highway after dark. In town in Playa, Akumal, or Tulum, I think you are fine, as long as you follow the same kinds of safety practices you would follow at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom