Best odds of seeing hammerheads in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joaz Banbeck

Registered
Reaction score
DW is buying a trip to Roatan for my birthday in late May. Where/how can I increase my chances of seeing hammerhead sharks?

Roatan is not known for its sharkiness, with the notable exception of the baited reef shark dive at Cara a Cara. Nurse sharks are found occasionally on the reef but hammerheads are an extremely rare occurrence. I am aware of rare sightings at the southeast end of the island (e.g., Texas) and east of St-Helene (e.g., pigeon cay). I wouldn’t have my heart set on it.

The one time I recall someone posting about a hammerhead sighting in Roatan, it sounded like a fluke. If hammerhead sharks are a big deal for you, places you might consider a trip to at some point:

1.) Galapagos Islands, Cocos Island, Socorros, Malpelo - basically =each via live-aboard trips. These places tend to be expensive, with the Socorros the cheapest.

2.) Jupiter, FL - shark feeding dives in-season with Emerald Charters to see great hammerheads.

3.) Bimini, Bahamas - IIRC.

4.) The Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank trips via the M/V Fling live-aboard out of Freeport, TX. I think I recall hammerheads were mentioned as a seasonal thing, reading about this several years ago. Not sure what the odds are. Trips are often cancelled due to weather conditions, I've been told. I wouldn't likely book a trip requiring airfare without careful attention to time of year, but if you happen to live near the area, perhaps of interest.

If it were me, I'd schedule a trip to Jupiter, FL the right time of year.

Yes, I know that there are many better places for hammerheads, but when the wife says "I need a vacation. Let's go to Roatan. I'm buying," one does not decline.
I was hoping to find some pattern to the occasional sightings.

PS: Cocos is on my bucket list.

Go to Bimini this month

Go to Bimini this month
We saw one Great Hammerhead, "Princess", during our 2 days diving off Bimini March 10-11. Fortunately, she continued to swim through the bait station for over 2 hours on the 1st day. You go diving, and you take your chances.

Saw many more Scalloped Hammerheads at the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigedos, and Malpelo

A female Hammerhead of about 9’ is a frequent visitor in the shallows of Coco View’s shore dive, in 40fsw at the Prince Albert Wreck.

E432BDB7-E912-4953-A77D-DFB33BE511E1.jpeg

I’ve seen her 3 times over the last six years, others have, too. There have been a number of pix posted. This one shows the buoyancy trial diamonds that are well known landmarks to any CCV diver.

0D7D51BC-ECE9-4863-8C76-9D01D8C6B5C9.png

You should go to Roatan for what it has over any other locale: macro.

Back
Top Bottom