Best Monterey Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hann300

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Going to a family reunion in Sacramento in late June and thinking about a side trip to dive Monterrey Bay. Anyone know the best way to dive the bay is? Boat dives or beach dives? Also, what are the best dive sites to see and best charter boats? Finally, what kind of exposure suit will you need in late June?

Thanks

I like shore diving. Breakwater is a great site: easy site (shallow, no surf), cheap ($10 parking), dive shop on site, many other divers around, easy access to EMS/O2 and tons of stuff to see. There's a bunch of different dives you can do there -- a 4-tank day is cold but not boring. Consider a 7mm a minimum for a half-hour dive, add a 3mm hooded vest if you're gonna be down an hour. A drysuit makes repetitive diving less terrifying.

If you will be diving during the week. I strongly suggest to check out the diving at Pt Lobos State Park. The site is awesome and is one of the better shore dives in the area. The park restricts the number of divers that can dive each day and weekend reservations fill about two months in advanced, but it is relatively easy to dive there on weekdays. Solo Diving is not allowed in the park, so you will need a dive buddy.

The Breakwater, Lovers Point and McAbee Beech are also very popular shore diving sites.

The charters in Monterey are very good. I can recommend the Silver Prince, the Double Down, the Monterey Express, and the Escapade.

Point Lobos is the logical choice during the week, as you will most likely not need advanced reservations. It also has an easy entry/exit that is well protected.

If you plan on diving in the Monterey Bay, I would recommend Coral Street or the Breakwater. The Metridium Fields at the Breakwater is beautiful and the Breakwater itself is an easy/enjoyable dive. It must be flat as a lake for you to safely dive at Coral Street.

You will need a full 7mm wetsuit with a hood, gloves and boots of equal thickness. If you haven't dived in Cold Water, please take into account the additional weight requirement to counter act the positive buoyancy of your exposure suit.

Claude

Easy stuff first- you'll need a 7 mil full body wet suit or a dry suit. Expect temp of around 50.

All commercial boats are good. Google Monterey dive boats and go from there. I usually dive with Monterey express but have gone out Escapade. Both good.

I think the best combination of ease and experience is achieved at Pt lobos. On weekends reservations are required so advance planning is needed, two or more weeks in advance.

Brian Handly

I've been diving Monterey for 37 years, and agree a 7mm wetsuit, preferably a Farmer John type, is best. With this type of wetsuit, you get more than 7mm of protection on your trunk. Good , thick gloves, boots and a hood are a must also. Check out my 26 dive videos on YouTube to see what sites may interest you. My channel is timothytech1. My latest is Monastery beach, but it was dead calm that day and it can be very dangerous to dive. You must enter on either end of the beach, NEVER in the middle. (South by the bathrooms is best.) It's for experienced divers only. I can't stress this enough. Divers die here every year. You may go in when it's calm, only to find breakers when you return and the beach is steep. ALWAYS keep at least 500 pounds of air in your tank if you must crawl under the surf to get back, with you BC deflated.This way you have an air supply even in the breakers. Crawl well up onto the beach. The sand is like gravel, too. Consult a local dive guide and they will agree. The Monterey side is much safer, but still be careful of waves. Have fun and dive with someone who has dove Monterey before. It's a beautiful place to dive. Breakwater is a good place to start, or Lover's beach, which is well protected and fun for the family too. Pt. lobos is great, but is a bit of a swim to get to the best dive sites. There is nothing to see if you dive in the cove by the boat ramp. Ask other divers where to go, or go to Pt. Lobos website and get a dive map.

If you've never dove here before (or conditions like here) I would suggest hiring a DM or buddying with a local for a shore dive. Avoid Monastery Beach for your first trip, beach goers and divers have died there. There's always at least one incident yearly at that site.

I also wouldn't suggest boats for your first trip here either. The designated DM's on the boats here don't go in the water with you, but rather act as rescue swimmers and stay on the boat. With the vis we get, it would be pretty hard to lead a large guided tour anyways. It be better to get used to diving here relatively shallow (above 60') from the shore rather than on a boat where you could go deeper than 60'.
Just my 2 cents. Everyone has already suggested some great shore sites.

Back
Top Bottom