Best kind of BCD for a drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siltout-queen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Good morning everybody!
I recently bought my first ever drysuit (a Camaro) and wanted to ask what kind of BCD works best with a drysuit? Like are BCDs for example better suited for drysuits if they have integrated weight pockets? Also are there any brands whose BCDs you can specifically recommend?
Thanks a lot in advance and happy diving everybody! :D

I personally try my best to stay away from integrated weight pockets, I've found too many of those laying around on the sea floor , would not consider it safe.

BP/W is the way to go in my opinion, also for Recreational diving.

Anything that let your front side free, like a back floatation device, remember you must access the inflation valve and the dump valve easily.

If you go with a more traditional BCD, whether jacket or back inflation, a few things to watch for aside from overall fit:
  1. Does the sternum strap interfer with the ds inflation valve? Unless it can be moved, you may have to try both on together to know.
  2. If weight integrated, does it hold the additional you will need for ds use? I use an Axiom with my Fusion, and that BCD maxes out at holding 40 pounds between front and back, for my size.
  3. Durability. Even if they fit and hold enough weight for a ds, travel BCDs tend to wear faster, especially when loaded up on lead.

Most of my diving is done in a dry suit, my first few dives were done with a jacket style BCD it did work but it was a night and day difference once I made the switch to a BP/W. I would suggest a steel back plate vs the aluminum to cut down on a few pounds of lead needed in the pockets. I have about 60 dives an OMS BP/W and am very happy with it

I started diving in a drysuit on a back inflation BCD. Specifically the Scubapro Knighthawk. It worked but it wasn’t the best.

Even with a Steel tank I needed more weight than would really fit well in the weight pockets. So I split the weight between the trim pockets, the integral pockets, and a weight belt. That worked okay.

Then I switched to a backplate. This moved about 5lbs of weight into a better place right behind my chest. A couple of trim weights on the upper tank band for balance and I got a generally better trim with less weight around my waist area.

That’s really the thing that makes a difference. How much weight will you need to carry? How will you distribute it on your rig? Once you understand that answer for most BCDs it’s pretty easy to see why people recommend a backplate and harness.

I am new myself, I found a backplate much more comfortable but even with a rental BCD I can stay horizontal.

I would say that if you can join a local diving club who has a few experienced people, you can ask people if they can let you try their equipment ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom