Best Island for vegetarian diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to find a good dive location that is accomodating to a vegetarian. My daughter recently became one. I was originally thinking of either St Vincent or Dominica for small critters, but am thinking twice since they aren't touristy and may little to no choice for vegetarian cuisine. Note, she is the only one out of the family (4 of us, 2 are divers). We've been to Cozumel, St Thomas, Aruba, Bahamas (both Nassau and Grand Bahamas), but she wasn't a vegetarian when we went to any of them. I'm guessing I'll have to pick an island that has more restaurant selections (i.e. more touristy, yuk!). So the challenge is to find that type locale with decent diving and something to satisfy the non-divers in the group. Ideas?

Welcome to the board.

This ones easy, Bonaire or Curacao.
I travel with a couple of vegi eaters, no meat or meat products. Milk and cheese are ok. Lots of places on both islands have veg menu items and so far they all have been more than willing to cook something special if they don't have something on the menu. This year in July on Curacao, our friends son was along with us. He, like us, is not a vegetarian. One of the best meals my vegi friends had was in a Rib and Steak place....they ask their son to pick the place. Unless your daughter is very anti meat(you can eat a burger at the same table) you will not have any trouble on Bonaire or Curacao. Even if you don't see anything on the menu, just ask. On both islands the food is cooked to order so special request are not a problem.

After rereading your post, Curacao may be the better of the 2. The beaches are nicer for non-divers and there is a lot to do for non divers.

Hi,
I have been to both St Vincent and Dominica and I am a vegie. You can get by in both places but there is hardly any choice. Dominica is better than St Vincent check out http://www.avirtualdominica.com/cornerhouse/home.htm#greenflash
but again there is very little choice and your daughter could end up eating the same thing every night. When I go to the less touristy islands I expect to eat to live and let the diving make up for the lack of good veggie food. So Herman may be right it may be better to go to Bonaire or Caracao afraid I've not been to either.

Doug

I am a nearly life-long vegetarian. I don't eat meat, poultry, or fish, but do eat dairy products. When I travel I try not to think about the highly likely possibility that there is rennet in the cheese, and, although I try to avoid refried beans as much as possible (often made with lard), I occasionally crack. You can look in my profile to see the places I've dived -- I've been able to eat everywhere we've gone, but some places have more variety than others. In Costa Rica, for example, I had a whole lot of cheese pizza, which is pretty much the unviersal standby. Belize had a little more selection, especially in Placencia (vs. Ambergris Caye). No problems on St. Thomas, St. John, Curacao, or Bonaire, or in Playa del Carmen. Cheers!

My husband and I are going to Costa Rica in 3 weeks and I am also a vegetarian. Sounds like I'll be eating a lot of cheese pizza! I do eat some fish unless it is served with the head on! I too have been to Belize and did fine and also to Thailand which was also good. We stayed on a liveaboard and the chef on the boat always made a special vegetarian portion of the food for me, although not at my request, they were just very nice. It seems you can get by anywhere though and I would not plan my trip around a vegetarian's diet. I would feel guilty if anyone planned a trip around my diet. They'll do fine wherever you go!

How about California? Everyone there is a vegetarian it seems like. Every time I get on a boat and there are Californians, they always hoard the vegi sandwiches (not that I want one, it's just amusing).

We've decided on Belize, 7 nights on Ambergris and 2 nights on the mainland (for tours). My youngest daughter, the diver/vegetarian loves archaeology and we want to visit some of the Mayan ruins. We went to Macchu Picchu last year (great trip, but no diving). Question for any vegetarians that have been to Ambergris - How is the selection at the grocery stores for vegetarian items (soy milk, etc.)? We are staying at Banayan Bay and plan on doing our own breakfasts. I may try and post the same question on the Belize forum. Thanks for everyone's help.

So, the biggest thing I remember about the grocery stores on Ambergris Caye is that they were expensive! We actually took some breakfast cereal and cereal bars and such. You could probably take the non-refridgerated soy milk with you. I don't remember them having that, but I drink regular milk. Have fun; I am jealous. We dove with Amigos del Mar and had a great time diving the Blue Hole, Half Moon Caye and the Aquarium. Amazing diving there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom