Best island for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrn2dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi.

Hubby and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean this summer (June or August) with his two boys (9 and 13). My initial plan was to do a resort dive, but people on here suggested I get certified before I go (I was just going to do a resort course).
Hubby and 13 year old aren't sure if they want to certify, so I'll need a place where I can do dives and the boys can snorkel and maybe do a resort course.

Any suggestions? My husband would like to see any kind of wrecks, so a few that may be observed by snorkel would be great (doesn't the BVI's have one?). We'd also enjoy an island that has plenty of rainforest/jungle life. We'd like to keep the cost around $4,000 total (dives, airfare, hotel....we live in minnesota). Our preference for accomodations is to stay at local, non-chain hotels, and eat where the locals eat.

Oh! Would going in August be doable? Hubby is a little concerned that it would be hurricane season.

Thanks!
L

I would definitely get certified beforehand.

You can dive and snorkel at the Wreck of the Rhone off of Salt Island in the BVI. There are also lots of other good snorkeling and dive sites in the BVI.

I'd suggest staying on Virgin Gorda.

Hurricanes are not usually a problem in the BVI.

Stormy
bvibound.com

I just got certified this past week in Nassau, Bahamas, by Stuart Cove's. (I did my confined dives back home, but did my certs in Nassau.)

I did my four OW dives with Cove's, then I did the Shark Adventure Dive two days later. It was absolutely awesome! Instructors were great and professional, and the boat captains all had a great sense of humor. It was definitely an awesome experience, and I can't wait to go back.

As for wrecks, they have the "James Bond Wrecks" site featuring the wrecks from the movies Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. Both wrecks sit in ~40 feet of water and are within swimming distance of one another. On the Shark Dive, the first dive takes you to a wreck with a multitude of reef sharks and lionfish. You can see just about everything by snorkel as well since visibility was up to 100 feet.

Hope that helps!

I was in the BVI in December. Wreck of the RMS Rhone is super cool, and Virgin Gorda's beautiful. There's good snorkeling basically everywhere. My airfare was in the US$500 range from San Francisco.

Have been to Virgin Gorda and did some dives there along time ago. it is /was a lovely island that I would go back to. But summer and hurricane season give me some pause. It seems somewhat of a gamble maybe not much but I wouldn't do it. Having said that I did go to Jamaica for a summer vacation once and that worked find. Also has great vegetation. But not sure I'd bring kids to this island. I would mention Bonaire as my new favorite although the last thing i would say is rain forest in association to it. I am going to Curacao this fall for first time and it may have more things for the non diver but again no rain forest.
My favorite island is Tobago and it has a great rain forest but I wouldn't go in August either. Also the diving on the part of island I was on was
advanced but have heard there is easier diving on the other side . Not sure how much help my rambling are. summer time does bring up uncertainty in Caribbean but maybe i am over reacting to it. Realize that the Caribbean is definitely HOT in the summer. I'd suggest more water based activities in general. Last thought anything lush,green ,aka rain forest means RAIN must occur so think of that too.

Back
Top Bottom