best gopro battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab4life

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Who makes the best battery that lasts the longest for the hero 3 black?

Who makes the best battery that lasts the longest for the hero 3 black?

I've had two Wasabi brand batteries for almost a year now. They last a little bit longer than the gopro brand battery. They also come in a combo pack "2 batteries and an external wall charger." I think it runs about $22 on amazon.

<--- Another vote for the wasabi batteries.

I tried the Wasabi and had nothing but bad luck with them. The stock GoPro battery for the Hero 3 lasts more then a full 32gb card for me, which is long enough. I sent the Wasabi batteries back to Amazon and got the OEM ones and have been very happy with them. Cheap enough as well&#8230;

Hi guys, I'm an inventor from Montreal who just put a new product on Kickstarter: The Pwr-XS

Go see that:

It speaks for itself. You will love this product, as it was designed for divers in mind. Give me feedback please. nd@ctrnd.com

That's fine for applications like a fixed POV mount, but it would block my LCD viewfinder on the Hero4 Silver, which is what most divers use.

if only you had "side mounted" it in your design.....

If you really want results, come up with a "back door" that has cabling to an external pack such as this. It could be mounted on the tray, or incorporated into some form of a handle...

Hi guys, I'm an inventor from Montreal who just put a new product on Kickstarter: The Pwr-XS

Go see that:

It speaks for itself. You will love this product, as it was designed for divers in mind. Give me feedback please. nd@ctrnd.com
That's excellent work! You could stand to make one improvement. A ribbon cable and jack so that the LCD backpack (often used for dive videos) could be mounted behind the 18650. Also, since there would be a gap in the top half of the housing between the LCD backpack space and the camera, you could fill it with a second 18650 for even longer runtime.

Well.. there's my feedback :) Basically it's a different idea on how you could address the same problem rhwestfall and hatul already mentioned.

There is one concern I have about the system. A leaky gopro housing is not that big of a deal. Might ruin your camera but that's probably the worst case. A leaky housing with an 18650 cell in it could be explosive. You might need to add a device like higher end camera housing such as hogyfot use to prevent water intrusion.

Go see that:

Have you done any depth testing beyond what was mentioned in the Kickstarter? Because this is hardly sufficient for actual diving use:

Waterproof: The prototype is not only weatherproof, but completely waterproof. It has been tested at 1 meter depth during several days while recording, and not a single drop seeped-in.

Thanks for your feedback, there are some interesting points from a diver's perspective that I didn't know of.

And BTW, a battery placed underwater will never explode, contrary to popular belief. As you can see in my video, I did just that. And during my endless testing sessions in the pool, I was recording using an "open" prototype with a 18650 battery fully immersed and directly exposed to bromide water, and never came close to some sort of heating or leaking. The only problem I had was the slow erosion of the positive electrode after a while. The duration was exactly the same: 3.5hrs. So no, water does not cause shorting, but just a negligible current leaking, in the milliamps range.

Batteries will only explode when being severely overheated due to high discharge current, or over-charging. E-cigarettes have this problem sometimes, mainly due high current draw (15A+), heating element too close to battery, poor design/protection, or cheap batteries with high internal resistance. The GoPro only draws 1A and the NCR18650B has a super-low internal resistance, so this will never happen. Neve use Ultrafire or Surefire, as they are terrible/dangerous with their 500 milliohm resistance. 50 to 70 is good (like Panasonic's)

About the viewfinder obstruction, I may develop something after KS to address this issue. But honestly, I didn't expect people to use this a lot since the field of view is so wide. I thought one would just aim roughly ahead and the main subject would be very close to center. But hey, I'm not a diver... what do I know!

Cheers,
Norm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom