Best/ Good Free Diving Fins(spearfisher here)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNERT89

Reaction score
I am in the market for new free-diving fins. Currently I use a pair of Mares Power-Plana fins approximately 10 plus yrs old. I would like some opinions. I've been doing alot of free-diving(spearfishing) the last couple of years and would like to know a good/best fins available for the Northeast waters(RI). Length? Style?...I also SCUBA as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to spend top dollar for quality merchandise. Feel free to share first hand experiences and/or thoughts.
Thanks Ahead Of Time.....

They're all good but they are different. Soft, medium, and stiff blades. Wide and narrow, soft and stiff foot pockets. You need to find what works for you. I like soft blades, many others prefer stiff. You need to try different fins out. Try to meet other RI freedivers and see if you can try their fins.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph...will do in regards to your suggestion. I was interested in knowing if there was a preferred fin for such activity(ie: least effort/best kick type of fin) . I'll try the variety as you suggest..thanks again...Carl

I see that the most recent message in this thread is a couple of months old now, but for the heck of it I'll throw in my two cents.

This summer I got interested in freediving after having spent about a year doing scuba. Freediving fins are much longer than typical scuba fins. Also, within a given brand there are often choices of stiffness. Stiff fins are preferred by advanced freedivers who need a lot of power to get deep very quickly. Medium fins are easier for most of us who spend a fair amount of the day on or near the surface.

There are a number of different brands of freediving fins out there. The two that seem to come up most often are Cressi's Gara and fins by Esclapez.

A local freediver pointed me to a diving shop that caters to both scuba and freedivers, where the owner said that he has become a big fan of a new freediving fin marketed by Riffe, a company that primarily makes spearguns. The foot pocket I believe is made by Omer. They have a stiff version marketed under one name and a more pliable fin sold by the name Silent Hunter. I ended up buying a pair of these. On the minus side, these (like a lot of fin pockets made in Europe) seem to be made for a narrow foot, and I had to stretch mine slightly (using wooden splints while leaving the fins out in the sun) to get a perfect fit for my feet. But I have to say that they really cook. After being used to scuba-style fins such as Scubapro Jetfins and a different model of Cressis, I can really haul through the water with these freediving fins. Of course, it helps not to be slowed down by a tank and BC! ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom