Best films?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Sea and Sea MX10 with YB40 strobe. I have previously used Fuji 400 print film with the "so0called" extra red layer. Results are OK - if I get them printed right.

Any other thoughts for film? I've had slide film suggested due to it's larger lattitude, but slides aren't the best for showing off my pics!

My favorite film of all time was Fuji Reala ISO100. Kodak Royal Gold is great if you can find it but Fuji has an edge over Kodak IMO.

You really don't need anything faster than 200, and I found that 100 was more than fine for all u/w photos. Unless you are doing B&W and want the graininess.

Actually, the Sea&Sea MX10 is only rated to accept ISO 100 -or- ISO 400 film...

If you're looking for color print film only, I agree with Dee about Fuji Superia Reala 100 - it really is the best consumer 100 print film (NOT Fuji Superia - but Fuji Superia "Reala" as they are two different films).... Also good are: Kodak Royal Gold 100 - but it's soon to be discontinued... Kodak Professional Supra 100 is a good print film - and can be bought in "pro packs" at a reasonable price... Konica Centuria Super 100 is supposed to a SUPER print film - but I can never seem to find it.

When you move to a faster speed film - you'll be adding some "graininess" to the prints. However, you might try Kodak Professional Supra 400 as it has very fine grain, greater enlarge-ability, and vibrant colors... Once again, these can be bought in "pro packs" of 20 rolls for under $50.00 on-line at B&H.... You didn't say which Fuji 400 print film you were using (Superia -or- Press -or- NPH), so I can't be of much there...

Also slide film has LESS latitude than print film, so your exposure has to be "right on" to achieve a decent picture... If you do decide to move to slide film, I would suggest Kodak Elite Chrome Extra Color 100 (EBX)... It's the ISO 100 slide film of choice for my housed SLR outfit.

Many use Fuji Velvia 50 and Provia 100, but they are both slide films. I understand Velvia is now also available in 100 ISO. My wife and I both had MX-10s for about five years and never found that the 100 vs 400 switch did anything. We often used Kodak Royal Gold or the MAX series at 200. She now has a Nikonos V and uses the Velvia and Provia. I've gone digital.
TedJ

LOL so pretty much any film I want then. I'll stick with the 400 ASA Fuji film (they change their branding and formulations so often I forget which one I actually use) for now as the lighting conditions are not the best - I only use 100ASA on the brightest of days on land anyway.

Hello,

film is an interesting area to discuss. There's several things to consider like color saturation, density, film latitude, zone range, development and the like.

For c41 film fuji reala and the new consumer b/w kodak is great. Fuji reala has some awsome latitude and color saturation.

For e6 you can't go wrong with provia-F 100, sensia 400 (or 100), the kodak E100 series, velvia just to name a few.

For real b/w work (not the c41 stuff) kodak tmx (this is 100 speed and I refer to it by it's index code) is awsome, esp if you push it to 200 iso.

If you want to dive into other areas afga scala-X is some VERY nice film, it's rated at 200 iso and looks best in DR-5, also while there check out their film reviews.

Ed

Agfa Ultra 100 (available from www.adorama.com and www.bhphoto.com) is a great film that gives amazing contrast and color saturation... far better saturation than reala (which is more true to life) which I tend to prefer underwater. Agfa Ultra 100 is the most saturated print film on the market by far. It is almost like Velvia or 100VS for prints. Slide film is a pain to shoot in a camera with little if any exposure controls. For B&W, I'd say go with TMAX 400 for B&W or even try Agfa Scala DR5 like blacknet suggets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom