Best Diving Sites (August 2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't believe there are any trips to Los Revillagigedos in July/August

You are right. My bad. Those Socorro liveaboards will be in Guadalupe for Great White Shark diving, similar to the Raja Ampat liveaboards would be in Komodo in August.

The routes I listed are quite different than the northern Red Sea

Understood. I was just saying that big stuff in Red Sea seem to be fished out. Did you see any sharks when you were in the southern route?

Understood. I was just saying that big stuff in Red Sea seem to be fished out. Did you see any sharks when you were in the southern route?
Both the BDE itinerary and the southern itinerary included Daedalus, we saw many large schools of hammerheads there on both stops. Most of the other big stuff was at Brothers, though there were many Napoleon Wrasse and snorkeling with the dolphins on the southern route. The two routes were very complimentary. Red Sea Aggressor April-May 2016

Reactions: Dan
Both the BDE itinerary and the southern itinerary included Daedalus, we saw many large schools of hammerheads there on both stops. Most of the other big stuff was at Brothers, though there were many Napoleon Wrasse and snorkeling with the dolphins on the southern route. The two routes were very complimentary. Red Sea Aggressor April-May 2016

Sounds like a good choice then. I’ll add it to my bucket list for next year.

Single solo female traveller huge big current drift diving fan, big fan of Pelagics - Tipuata Pass in Rangiroa is about the best pass diving you can get so I'd definitely head straight to the Tuomotos in French Polynesia. Tikehau has been going off this week with great hammerheads. Recommend diving with Rangiroa Plongee and staying at Pension Tiena and Marie.

This is where I’m leaning. Do you have any liveabroad recommendations or websites for liveabroad other than PADI?

As for the Red Sea, I’ve heard the same about the lack of big fish and schools of fish. I’m not into wrecks either.

Thanks for everyone’s input!

In Rangiroa or Fakarava you will have lots of sharks and a manta here and there... timing wise you will just miss the grouper spawning in Fakarava. I do not recommend doing a liveaboard. Stay on the atolls.

Komodo has lots of current, fish, and mantas (and dive boats). You might see an occasional shark but not common. If you want off the beaten path with no people/boats look for a liveaboard doing Alor or Alor/Komodo combo. Unfortunately Komodo has gotten pretty popular but it is still amazing diving.

In Rangiroa or Fakarava you will have lots of sharks and a manta here and there... timing wise you will just miss the grouper spawning in Fakarava. I do not recommend doing a liveaboard. Stay on the atolls.

Komodo has lots of current, fish, and mantas (and dive boats). You might see an occasional shark but not common. If you want off the beaten path with no people/boats look for a liveaboard doing Alor or Alor/Komodo combo. Unfortunately Komodo has gotten pretty popular but it is still amazing diving.

Thanks! Which dive resorts would you recommend for Rangiroa or Fakarava? And why would you not recommend a liveabroad? They're completely booked, but I just convinced my friend to take the last spot on a 7 day liveabroad and I'd feel awful if I recommended a poor vacation for him.

As for Komodo, I feel like I got the sense of the area from my 21 days in Raja Ampat. Most of the dive instructors worked in Komodo at some point and they said it was exactly like Raja Ampat but with more currents.

Does anyone have any recommendations for eco-friendly dive resorts in Australia or Fiji? Those are other options I'm considering.

I'm rethinking this. Do you know if the same experience applies to the July and August months?

Thanks! Which dive resorts would you recommend for Rangiroa or Fakarava? And why would you not recommend a liveabroad? They're completely booked, but I just convinced my friend to take the last spot on a 7 day liveabroad and I'd feel awful if I recommended a poor vacation for him.

I meant a liveaboard in French Polynesia... only. There are limited choices and the best diving on those atolls are passes which have to be planned with tides etc. something a site op would have expertise at. They will also limit your diving until they know exactly what you are capable of for your own good. LOBs and cruises in FP will keep your diving at the lowest common denominator. Tell you that you will be doing the pass but not really shoot the pass etc. IMHO

I love LOBs just about everywhere else (except critter/macro specialty places like Lembeh, Anilao, Tulumben, Ambon etc.)..... can't beat the service and ease of diving.

As for Komodo, I feel like I got the sense of the area from my 21 days in Raja Ampat. Most of the dive instructors worked in Komodo at some point and they said it was exactly like Raja Ampat but with more currents.
Hmmm... having been to both numerous time I can confidently say Komodo is very different than Raja.... Just about every region in Indonesia is unique in many ways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom