Best Diving Sites (August 2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhanish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

It looks like I’m going to get some time off between jobs. I think I’ll have 3-4 weeks off around end of July-mid August. I’d love recommendations for dive locations!

Dive Experience
I’m advanced open water diver with around 100 dives, 30 or so being intense drift dives. I’ve only been diving the last three years.

Prior Dive Trips
Small Hope, Bahamas (9 days)
Raja Ampat, Indonesia (21 days)
Cozumel, Mexico (6 days)

Locations
I’m looking for the best place in the world to dive in August. I love large animals and schools of fish. For example, Raja Ampat was absolutely incredible, so something on that level would be great. I have heard that French Polynesia is an amazing place for clear waters and big fish. Same for Galapagos. I’d like to avoid spots like Bali.

Accommodations
If you could recommend a good liveabroad or resort in the location you recommend, that would be awesome.

I’m NOT interested in places that do shark feeds or the like. I’d prefer to go to a destination that has eco friendly liveabroad and resorts.

Price
Price isn’t the first factor for me. I’d like to pick out the great location and then make a budget afterwards.

Other Factors
Solo female traveler
Fan of drifts/adventurous dives
Worships the sun
Wants to avoid crowds and cities
Interested in staying in one location for the duration of the trip

Hey All,

It looks like I’m going to get some time off between jobs. I think I’ll have 3-4 weeks off around end of July-mid August. I’d love recommendations for dive locations!

Dive Experience
I’m advanced open water diver with around 100 dives, 30 or so being intense drift dives. I’ve only been diving the last three years.

Prior Dive Trips
Small Hope, Bahamas (9 days)
Raja Ampat, Indonesia (21 days)
Cozumel, Mexico (6 days)

Locations
I’m looking for the best place in the world to dive in August. I love large animals and schools of fish. For example, Raja Ampat was absolutely incredible, so something on that level would be great. I have heard that French Polynesia is an amazing place for clear waters and big fish. Same for Galapagos. I’d like to avoid spots like Bali.

Accommodations
If you could recommend a good liveabroad or resort in the location you recommend, that would be awesome.

I’m NOT interested in places that do shark feeds or the like. I’d prefer to go to a destination that has eco friendly liveabroad and resorts.

Price
Price isn’t the first factor for me. I’d like to pick out the great location and then make a budget afterwards.

Other Factors
Solo female traveler
Fan of drifts/adventurous dives
Worships the sun
Wants to avoid crowds and cities
Interested in staying in one location for the duration of the trip

I have certificates for 2 bedroom full kitchen sleeps 6 suite on the Mayan Riviera Vidanta Resort and this place is not all inclusive which is biggest rip off ever. you miss a meal of a drink you lose money. Golf and dive center onsite $1,000 a week
Vidanta Resort Mayan Riviera rental NON all inclusive 18 hole golf waterpark dive shop - YouTube

Single solo female traveller huge big current drift diving fan, big fan of Pelagics - Tipuata Pass in Rangiroa is about the best pass diving you can get so I'd definitely head straight to the Tuomotos in French Polynesia. Tikehau has been going off this week with great hammerheads. Recommend diving with Rangiroa Plongee and staying at Pension Tiena and Marie.

Since you like big stuff, Socorro would be a good one.

I was there in December last year. Socorro 22-30 December, 2018 Trip Report
I believe all the Revillagigedos trips run from about November through May or June. I had a fantastic trip this May. Many of the boats go to Guadalupe and do the Great White cage dives during the rest of the season.

Hi @bhanish

With 3-4 weeks, you might consider back to back LOB weeks in the Red Sea, perhaps with some sight seeing in Egypt, if you haven't already been there. Red Sea liveaboards are reasonably inexpensive. I got in 44 dives doing the BDE and the Southern/St. John route as well as another 3 with a local operator before the LOBs

I believe all the Revillagigedos trips run from about November through May or June. I had a fantastic trip this May. Many of the boats go to Guadalupe and do the Great White cage dives during the rest of the season.

The reason I mention it is because liveaboard.com still shows some opening at this late of the game (3 weeks away). Otherwise you’ll have more options like Cocos or Galápagos.

Hi @bhanish

With 3-4 weeks, you might consider back to back LOB weeks in the Red Sea, perhaps with some sight seeing in Egypt, if you haven't already been there. Red Sea liveaboards are reasonably inexpensive. I got in 44 dives doing the BDE and the Southern/St. John route as well as another 3 with a local operator before the LOBs

I was in Sharm El Sheikh last August and saw no shark, no schooling fish, but SS Thistlegorm is impressive. I normally don’t care much about wreck, but this wreck is a must see.

The reason I mention it is because liveaboard.com still shows some opening at this late of the game (3 weeks away). Otherwise you’ll have more options like Cocos or Galápagos.
I don't believe there are any trips to Los Revillagigedos in July/August

I was in Sharm El Sheikh last August and saw no shark, no schooling fish, but SS Thistlegorm is impressive. I normally don’t care much about wreck, but this wreck is a must see.
The routes I listed are quite different than the northern Red Sea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom