Best diving in Thailand - September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be visiting Thailand for a couple weeks in September, based in Bangkok, and hope to do one or two brief side-trips (a few days each) to dive areas. Looking for recommendations for the best diving available at that time of the year (first half of September).

I've been to Thailand once before, about 6 years ago (man, it's been too long...), and did a short live-aboard to the Similans; that trip was mixed - we had really crappy weather (lots of rain, rough seas, little sunshine). We also did a few dives from Ko Lanta a few weeks later, which went much better - warm, sunshine, dove HM and HD, got to snorkel with one BIG manta!

This time, we're looking for someplace with great diving, maximum viz, a healty marine environment rich in life. Nice beaches and comfy resorts are nice, too. Prefer places that aren't completely overrun with tourists (no interest in the Hard Rock Cafe/Planet Hollywood scene). Whale sharks? Mantas? Bring 'em on. But we're not snobs: pretty corals and lots of colorful reef fish are good, too.

Places we've considered include: Samui (maybe too touristy?) Ko Tao (maybe too overrun with divers?), and Ko Lipe (maybe too far/difficult to get to?). I'm just starting to do research now and very much welcome any input.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

The BEST diving is in the Andaman Sea from Hin Daeng/Hin Muang all the way up to Richelieu Rock and Surin. The WORST time to go there is September (rainy/windy/choppy) so you better either change your dates or go to the Gulf of Thailand where there is OK diving and weather in September. Not nearly as nice as the Andaman Sea though...

or go to the Gulf of Thailand where there is OK diving and weather in September.
Yes, I am biased, but IMO the diving in the Andaman Sea is still a lot better in September than in the Gulf of Thailand: more variety, more colours, just unpredictable visibility and weather.

i would second that

an average day in sept in the andaman is better than a good day in the gulf

Well, it's highly unlikely that the trip we be rescheduled. We'll also be doing Bali (and possibly Sulawesi) before going to Thailand, so I'll have to assuage my disappointment there I guess.

From the little additional research I've done thus far, it sounds like Ko Lipe/Tarutau is out - monsoon season, everything is reportedly shut down for the duration and the ferries don't run very often. Dang - I had really wanted to get down there.

It sounds like the entire Andaman side is best avoided in September...yes? That comes as a serious disappointment, but I guess that just means I'll have to plan another trip at a better time.

So how about the best diving (such as it is) on the Gulf of Thailand side? Any suggestions for a consolation prize?

Thanks.

It sounds like the entire Andaman side is best avoided in September...yes?
No, Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi, possible without problems. And as mentioned earlier: IMO the diving in the Andaman Sea is still a lot better in September than in the Gulf of Thailand: more variety, more colours, just unpredictable visibility and weather.

yes indeed Koh Lipe is a great place but while we speak, the season will end in about 4 to six weeks (it is allready getting less busy).
to give a lot of people an indication what we have seen this season:
Whalesharks, manta's (a lot), whales (not while diving)same for dolphines, blue marlins.many octopus at the moment (matingseason ?) cownoserays, devilrays, mantisshrimps, leopardsharks, giant groupers, many types of nudibranches, small shrimps, lobsters, trevalies, jack's, tawny nurseshark, different species of morays, ribboneel,many different types of shrimp...and so on and so on.
do not know if I will be able to work again on Lipe, but it is certainly 10 times better on a terrible day on the andamancoast then a good day in the gulf of thailand (worked 2,5 years koh tao).
season on lipe from november till about 1/2 mai.
see also www.lotusdive.com

i agree western side is definitely better on average, but september is preety bad, as it gets to the end of the rainy season, and water viz can be pretty crappy.
i'd vote for koh tao any time: good diving, clear waters, good variety of flora and fauna, great beaches, not too overrun by the masses, and it's not that difficult to get there. Alternative, if you plan on Bali is to actually dive there, it's not bad also.
my vote goes for Tao...
Have fun...

sailmaryann:
i agree western side is definitely better on average, but september is preety bad, as it gets to the end of the rainy season, and water viz can be pretty crappy.
i'd vote for koh tao any time: good diving, clear waters, good variety of flora and fauna, great beaches, not too overrun by the masses, and it's not that difficult to get there. Alternative, if you plan on Bali is to actually dive there, it's not bad also.
my vote goes for Tao...
Have fun...
pull the other one its got bells on..............

of course if you are comparing it to a european quarry then yes otherwise no

Well, I'm still quite torn over this: we could do Koh Tao or Samui, knowing that it's a lesser quality experience than diving the Andaman side. Or we could just take our chances with the weather on the Andaman coast...

We will have quite a bit of flexibility - I'll be based in Bangkok, staying with family, and we will probably be free to come and go on relatively short notice (and based on previous experience, it's pretty simple and cheap to do last-minute travel within Thailand). I wonder how far in advance one can get an idea of weather...if we're in BKK and watching the weather patterns along the Andaman side, if it looks like there will be a sunny/calm period for a few days...we could hop on a plane to Phuket, grab a last-minute spot on a liveaboard to the Similans and hope for the best (and just suck it up when the storm hits). Or maybe it's more reasonable to just lower expectations and head for Koh Tao or Samui...

I guess I don't necessarily have to decide before we get to Thailand, but welcome any additional opinions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom