Best Diving in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodyLynn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

My first posting! I am looking for some recommendations on the best place to dive in late Dec/Jan. My last diving experience was 4 years ago in Bali, Thailand, and Australia--I got certified and logged about 50 dives. Bali was the best! But Dec/Jan is a bad time of year to go back there. So, I'm looking at Bonaire, Curacao, and Tobago but want to make sure I see some unspoiled coral. Also, looking for beaches and good off-shore snorkeling. Heard Dominica was good, but no sand on the beaches. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Thanks, Monty! I recently realized that I was on Curacao 20 years ago on a cruise stop over. I remember an awesome waterslide on the beach I spent the entire day going up and down. Can you recommend any hotels on the beach? I'd like to spend no more than $60 or $70 per night but don't know what if that even gets me a dump.

Jody

JodyLynn:
Thanks, Monty! I recently realized that I was on Curacao 20 years ago on a cruise stop over. I remember an awesome waterslide on the beach I spent the entire day going up and down. Can you recommend any hotels on the beach? I'd like to spend no more than $60 or $70 per night but don't know what if that even gets me a dump.
On the beach for $60-70? Maybe 20 years ago. :14:

There are some small inn type places where you might be able to find rooms in that price range, mostly catering to Europeans or local. Doubt any on the beach though. Landhuis Daniel has inexpensive rooms and a great restaurant, but it's away from it all and you'd really need a way to get around. (If you see any old info that implies they have a dive shop don't believe it, it's been closed forever, is full of old mattresses and smells like cows.) There's a place called Martha Koosje which is closer to town though still out there a bit, that looks like it has rooms now and they have a dive op of some sort, but I don't know if they provide transportation. Probably others those are just the ones I've seen. There's some lower priced hotels in town though you'd want to be careful what area you stayed in. You could maybe stay someplace like that and hook up with the Dive Bus. Certainly wouldn't be your typical beachfront vacation.

Hi and welcome to SB
Have you considered Puerto Rico, you don't need a passport and diving is great. We have a really good and safe New Years Party on the small island of Culebra, Just a boat ride away from the big island, 2.25 one way for the ferry ride! Culebra has a underwater national park, you can look it up on www.culebra.org.
Happy and safe diving always
Scubagirl_61

So would Culebra be the place to dive in Puerto Rico? Can you dive Vieques?

Back
Top Bottom