Best diving in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry Goode

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went to Belize about 10 years ago (stayed on Ambergrise Caye). I'm interested in going back as I've been to just about everywhere in Caribbean. I'm wondering what Belize veterans think is the best diving.

Are there places to stay on some of the Caye's and Atolls other than Ambergris? Is the diving better staying on these?

Barry

I've been to Belize twice, once staying on Ambergris, the other staying at Turneffe Flats Resort. When my wife and I were at the Flats about four or five years ago, we were the only two diving guests that week, and we dove some fantastic dive sites, especially up around the Resort, on both sides of the atoll. When I stayed on Amergris over a decade ago, I wasn't overly impressed with the local diving. Other's may have experienced it since I have, and may have more knowledge though.

It's a good place to consider a liveaboard.

We were in Belize at AC in July....our first trip there. We went diving each day (except for the first day because of poor weather conditions) and enjoyed it. However, we've decided we won't go back to AC but would like to dive at the outer atolls where there are wall dives and more sea life. The reef at AC is nice but not as beautiful as what we've experienced in Cozumel. We did see spotted rays for the first time....they were huge and beautiful! And, no, we didn't do the Blue Hole because of the cost and the time it took to get there.

The outer atholls have the best diving in my opinion. I've been to Glovers Reef about 5 times on the south tip. Marisol Resort.
I have been to the Elbow of Turneffe....lots of times...more than 40 I guess. Really nice and a very fishy spot on a world scale. One of the best if you want to see mass schools of snapper, jacks, spadefish and big grouper on the bottom. Sometimes it's easier to see the fish free diving. Scuba bubbles seem to scare them off sometimes, I would guess because workers at the resorts go out in the evenings and shoot fish for the guests using scuba. Snappers are really smart.
I've dived Lighthouse a couple times but only the BH and the south. But there is a resort there. I would guess it's "all time" diving also.

I live and dive around the reef 10 miles north and up to 20 miles south of Dangriga area. Not many dive shops come to this area at all. But we have a lot of cuts on the reef and lots of fish too. If you want to dive this area, there are resorts on Tobacco Caye, Southwater Caye, Thatch Caye and the Hopkins Village area. Hamanasi, Jaguar Reef ...to name a couple resorts.

You could stay in Placencia and get out to Glover's reef and a couple of other sites from there. I think that they are even running a trip once a week to the Blue Hole & Lighthouse Reef. I stayed a week in San Pedro and a week in Placencia. I enjoyed diving from both, but I think that I preferred Placencia because it was more remote and less populated.

Best thing about the trip to the Blue Hole is the other nearby divesites.

Back
Top Bottom