Best dives in Indonesia - need to focus on a specific area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This question is probably a bit naive and for sure you already spoke about it in other discussions, but since this information seems to be scattered in several threads I would like to open a new one on this specific topic
Indonesia is a very big country and it is/it might be necessary to take internal flights, which is often uncomfortable when carrying scuba gear due to local flight companies baggage weight limitations

Which are the very best dives in the country? Is it worth it to focus on a specific part of Indonesia, like people do in the Philippines when they focus on Luzon/Anilao vs Visayas/Bohol and Malapascua?

Thanks

I'm focused on Raja Ampat but it isn't the only place I'll go to dive in Indo.

I'm focussed mainly on North Sulawesi and Bali for macro, but like @chillyinCanada that's not the only place I'll dive either.

I like Lembeh for macro, Bali for macro and topside activity, Raja Ampat for everything, Komodo for everything and Ambon for macro. Banda Sea next year to see what’s there.

There are just too many good places to dive in Indonesia to restrict yourself to just one.

Depends a little on season and the type of diving you want, but I would say Raja Ampat is the best. Melissa's Garden is my all-time favorite site I've ever dived.

Lembeh and Ambon for macro/muck, Komodo and Raja Ampat for wide angle reef with amazing colors (hard and soft corals!)/large fish/sharks. I will hit up the Banda Arc in October and will report back on how that goes.

@thumbsplitter Here's one from Melissa's Garden for you.

57485887_10157267012586031_8583859588393074688_o_10157267012576031.jpg

North Sulawesi - Bangka Lembeh Manado bunakeTernate Halmahera Morotai into northern Raja Ampat - Dampier Straits (my fav) - Raja to Ambon, Banda Sea, Banda Neira, Forgotton & Kei Islands,

Raja South Wakatobi

East Nusa Tengarra - Komodo, Maumere, Alor - just some off the top of my head ex Sulawesi

This question is probably a bit naive and for sure you already spoke about it in other discussions, but since this information seems to be scattered in several threads I would like to open a new one on this specific topic
Indonesia is a very big country and it is/it might be necessary to take internal flights, which is often uncomfortable when carrying scuba gear due to local flight companies baggage weight limitations

Which are the very best dives in the country? Is it worth it to focus on a specific part of Indonesia, like people do in the Philippines when they focus on Luzon/Anilao vs Visayas/Bohol and Malapascua?

Thanks

Depends on the timeframe, when will you be diving?
Lembeh/Ambon for Macro
Komodo/Raja Ampat for pelagics and corals
Bali for wreck and mola mola
Cenderawasih for whale sharks

You mentioned baggage restrictions and I'm not sure that has much to do with your main question. I would agree you should focus somewhat on a trip there and not attempt to fly all over the country for a couple days here, a couple days there, chasing the "best" dives - but that's for lots of reasons that have little to do with baggage. (Also true of the Philippines.)

The national airline Garuda is reasonably generous, allows a extra free allowance for sporting gear, and you can buy additional allowance in advance if you need to. For divers, it's actually better than lots of airlines and will get you lots of places. There's lots of domestic airlines there and like anywhere, the budget ones may give you less allowance and charge more for extra weight. Just do your research and choose what makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom