Best dive shop/village for mini-holiday in Turkey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be going to Istanbul for a business trip in the 3rd week of September and hope to add a few days' holiday to the trip (probably Wed-Sun). Mr. frogoutofwater and I are looking for recommendations for where to stay and dive. We're novice divers (about 30 dives each) and usually we're more interested in fish than wrecks, fauna etc - but we understand that there aren't a lot of fish to see in the overfished Med. While we hope to do some interesting dives, we view this trip as more of a "get in the water, keep your skills fresh and enjoy what's there (rather than whine about what's not there)" experience. Our priorities: 1) safety-conscious, professional dive shop with good equipment (we'll need to rent almost everything) and well-equipped boats (ideally with a WC); 2) a relatively easy trip to make logistically (since we only have a few days, we don't want to spend 3 hours on the road coming from and go the airport - although an hour is ok); 3) a hotel and village with some character (but also a hotel with air-con) - in the <150 euro price range; and 4) possibly some non-diving activities (e.g. nice walks). I have read the other threads on Turkey but am looking for some additional information.

(1) European Divers (especially the Fethiye-based location) has had some good reviews and seems to have the kind of dive boats and set-up we're looking for. What do others think? What about their other locations? Can anyone recommend one more than the others, or there reasons to avoid one? Can anyone recommend a hotel with some charm or character in the Fethiye area?

(2) I read the recent trip report on Kas and it sounds appealing (at least with respect to criteria 3 and 4 above) - but it seems it would take some time to get to.

One other question. What are mosquito levels like in late September? Bugs love me, and I hate them (almost phobic about it). All other things being equal, I'd choose the least buggy place (village, hotel).

hi there. european divers have all you need. you can be in fethiye in 45 minutes after your plane lands on. I dived with them, so I can say that you will be happy diving with them. do not worry about the bugs. I newer had an issue with them.. have a nice dive

hi there. european divers have all you need. you can be in fethiye in 45 minutes after your plane lands on. I dived with them, so I can say that you will be happy diving with them. do not worry about the bugs. I newer had an issue with them.. last thing is you can find good hotels for about 50 dollar/night ..have a nice dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom