Best dive resort in Cabo area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishCaliSean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for an all in Dive resort in the Cabo San Lucas Area

Cali coast diver here looking for a week-long trip in the Cabo area for some warm water diving at the end of January. I need someone who has done a trip like this to help me with some recommendations. Some key considerations:
  1. I would like it to be as easy and dive focused as possible. Up in the morning, grab some food and jump on the boat or walk right into the water.
  2. I would like to have a dive locker or a VERY easy way to deal with my gear at the end of each day and not lug it up to the room to hang in my shower overnight.
  3. I would like to get in about 12-14 total dives, some reefs, and some wrecks. Probably 1-2 night dives would be nice.
  4. I don't want a live aboard at this time.
I can't find inclusive dive resorts like you tend to find in Belize/Cozumel/Roatan etc. Does such a thing exist in Cabo?

If not, what places come close? I did find the Amoray which sounds pretty close to what I was thinking, but is there anything else out there?

For reference, I have been diving for about a year and am AOW certified, working on Resuce diver currently.

Thanks to anyone willing to give me some local tips and experiences.

I did quite a bit of research awhile back and never came across any dive resorts in CSL. The water is pretty rough on the Pacific side where a lot of resorts are and those resorts in the Sea of Cortez are close to the marina (where dive ops leave from) or have sandy beaches, but no piers for dive boats to pick up.

Cali coast diver here looking for a week-long trip in the Cabo area for some warm water diving at the end of January.

Sorry to say warm water diving at the end of January isn't likely unless ~68-74º F is warm to you. I have dived there at the same time and the warmest my gauge read at depth in CSL bay was 73º and in the corridor area 70º. Cabo Pulmo might be a degree or 2 warmer. Not sure about La Paz.

Haven't heard anything about wrecks in the immediate CSL area, but from reading, there may be wrecks in La Paz - but they may not dive those in January - not sure why other than visibility isn't great that time of year.

I did find the Amoray which sounds pretty close to what I was thinking, but is there anything else out there?

Your link goes to a southern Florida resort - is there one in Cabo also?

Your diving will be limited to where the local ops take you. Some have a schedule of where they go each day of the week and most will keep your gear for you so you don't have to lug it around.

Attached is a spreadsheet of dive ops I found earlier this year - it's in the first post:

I’ll add a little to what @jonhall states above.

There are the remains of one wreck on the Pacific side of Land’s End, but they are scattered and getting less identifiable with every major storm.

There is also a wreck site at Cabo Pulmo which is where the Bull Sharks hang out.

Our understanding is that all dive boats leave from the marina in Cabo San Lucas, however there is also diving out of San Jose del Cabo which is further up the Corridor toward the Sea of Cortez.

We have not researched whether any of the resorts between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo have onsite ops.

On our Corridor day this trip there did appear to be a boat moored at one of the resorts, however a couple on our boat were actually staying at that resort.

My wife just reminded me of the Tesoro Hotel and their relationship with Dive Cabo.

Here’s a link (hopefully in English, Google is picking up Spanish language links for me here in Cabo). I can’t read it in Spanish, so not sure what it says.

We used manta scuba and stayed at an unaffiliated resort out of down town Cabo. We just Uber'd the 20 minutes or so to the dive shop each day and it was painless.

If you are willing to make it rain you could stay near the harbor (The Ridge at Playa Grande or Hotel Tesoro would be the easiest/best) alternatively the hostel Mayan Monkey would be pretty ideally located as well. Manta scuba had gear lockers so other than the first and last day we didn't have to haul gear so that was nice. The local area dives were okay, nothing great but not bad (id say pretty equivalent to a dive on the Channel Islands but a hair warmer). In Oct I dove in a 5mm and was comfy. We did the day trip to Cabo Pulmo and the gordo banks trips. Gordo for us was a bust but think its really hit or miss. Cabo Pulmo was ok, think it could have been better but again hit or miss and think if you stay there you have better odds.

If you are looking for a real dive focused trip maybe Cabo Pulmo would be more to your liking?

Personal Opinion here, but the clubs right behind Tesoro have made it near uninhabitable. The club was blasting dubstep so loud at 2AM that the hangers in my closet were jumping and vibrating. (Tesoro cant really do anything about it)

I really like diving with Manta. They have great boats, great guides, and no the area inside out.

Personal Opinion here, but the clubs right behind Tesoro have made it near uninhabitable. The club was blasting dubstep so loud at 2AM that the hangers in my closet were jumping and vibrating. (Tesoro cant really do anything about it)

I really like diving with Manta. They have great boats, great guides, and no the area inside out.

We’ve stayed twice in the Terresol condo complex.

The first time we had a top floor unit and you could hear the bass thumping from there.

This past week we stayed in a first floor unit and all you could hear was the surf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom