Best dive resort / house reef in Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have stayed at both All West and Marazul. Both are up in the Westpunt area, close to Go West. All West pluses: Not only ocean view, but ocean front. I cannot imagine better or closer views from anywhere on the island. Large balconies/patio areas. The tank room is stellar and well organized. Easy to load and unload tanks from truck . Minuses: Very basic. No washer inside units. No pool.
Marazul pluses: Gated entry. Most units have a washer and cable TV. Unspoiled and easy shore dive. Well kept pool area with many shaded loungers. Minuses: No designated tank room. Ocean views but not as close to the ocean as All West. Walls of units are thin. We have not had issues with noisy neighbors, but if you did....

I enjoyed stays at both places. If I was looking for more of a resort vibe, I would look at some of the other places listed.
Extra plus to Marazul is Cactus Cafe being right next door. Also, the cats!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips, no reply from All West for our dates so I expect they may be full anyway. We'll look at some of the other options and write back with a short report after our stay mid July... The Marriott Beach Resort (Willemstad) was available and while we can get that on points, would prefer a dive resort with kitchen and dive shop etc. Worst case it may have to do if all else is full. Thanks again everyone :)

I don’t do resorts, you may want to look into a VRBO, a dive bus package and roam about the island.

I would check out Blue Bay. There are many Airbnb's around the golf course along with a large variety of Condo's and hotels. The beach there is a fantastic 'house' reef and the they have 24 hour tanks available so you can bring them to other sites (although now a days all the most popular sites have tanks on site). The location at Blue Bay is ideal as you can head right out towards the west side of the island easily as well as being close to down town and about 15 minutes to Mambo.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips, no reply from All West for our dates so I expect they may be full anyway. We'll look at some of the other options and write back with a short report after our stay mid July... The Marriott Beach Resort (Willemstad) was available and while we can get that on points, would prefer a dive resort with kitchen and dive shop etc. Worst case it may have to do if all else is full. Thanks again everyone :)
I've been to Curacao 6 times now, and I think you're missing a lot of good diving by focusing on a single resort. Get a car and explore the island. The roads are good and the other drivers are (relatively) sane. There are AirBnB/VRBO options for all budgets. GoWest has a good house reef, but there are numerous other sites just as good. With only two exceptions (the South End and Watamula) everything can be done as a shore dive and if you don't go to the South End, you're missing the best dive on the island. Because the owner of the South end of the island is in a permanent pissing match with the Curacao government, there is no shore access, so the reefs are pristine Check out DivecharterCuracao for diving at both.

Thanks John. Juggling so many things, I think we're too late for anything but keeping our points reservations at the Marriott. It means running through hallways with wet dive gear and getting dirty looks but hey. It'll be worth it!

We also have a car, and I think I will indeed try various spots. The spots near the marriott seem to want to give you 'guided beach dives' and don't just rent tanks. Might take one or two for an orientation (and help the economy) but .... would be nice to take our time with tanks on our own.

@JohnN If you have great sites (esp for Macro) to suggest, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you
Jaan

Thanks John. Juggling so many things, I think we're too late for anything but keeping our points reservations at the Marriott. It means running through hallways with wet dive gear and getting dirty looks but hey. It'll be worth it!

We also have a car, and I think I will indeed try various spots. The spots near the marriott seem to want to give you 'guided beach dives' and don't just rent tanks. Might take one or two for an orientation (and help the economy) but .... would be nice to take our time with tanks on our own.

@JohnN If you have great sites (esp for Macro) to suggest, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you
Jaan
I'm sad to say I haven't found any good Macro sites (I fear my standard of 'good' is the muck around the Liberty wreck in Bali). As for a few of my favorite sites:
  • South end of island (boat dive)
  • Watamula (boat dive)
  • Porto Marie (skip the double reef and go right. Be sure to get a Williburger in the cafe)
  • Kokomo beach (go right)
  • Playa San Juan (a bit of a rough drive to get to the site, but very isolated and untouched)
  • Tugboat (great for snorkelers too)
  • Snake Bay (no snakes on Curacao, the house reef for where I like to stay)
  • Superior Producer wreck (can only dive when there are no cruise ships)
There is an excellent shore diving guide mentioned earlier in this thread

I lived in Curacao for a couple years, I started diving with Bob at Divers Republic, when he was at Coral Estates. The reef there was pretty good and I got fairly familiar with it. Then Bob moved Divers Republic to Playa Daaibooi, and I really liked that reef, go out to the drop off, and to the East the reef is very nice, to the West is nice as well.
Bob is awesome, and well worth chatting too.
Most dive sites West of here are excellent, there are a few to the East but a lot are deadish I found.
Next beach to the West, Playa Porto Marie is my next favorite, nice reef, with easy entry, and a nice cafe. Watch the banana keets eat sugar from a packet in your hand 😃.
If you don’t mind combining ,mountain climbing with diving, hole number 5 at Blue bay is an awesome dive as well. I found the reef at Blue bay resort beach to be awful, it was dead, and depressing.
The Superior producer is really neat as well but now must be accessed by boat only as far as I know.

We're flying out to Curaçao tomorrow, and depending on what Tropical Storm Bonnie does I am meant to be diving on Friday and Saturday with Scubacao (who got great reviews all around). Hoping to do some gentle reef stuff for my wife's first ever scuba on Friday, then a three tank dive myself hopefully to include the Superior Producer. The forecast is saying rough seas for the whole weekend, so I have no idea if I'll even get in the water unfortunately, or if I do what the viz will look like.

It looks like you might get lucky, you can't dive the Superior Producer if there is a cruise ship docked.

Here is the schedule: Public view

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom