Best dive resort / house reef in Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaan

Ask me about DRYFOB
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like we just might have an opportunity to dive Curacao
I''ve heard GoWest is supposed to have a great house reef.
Looking for something nice .. anyone have recommendations from recent experience?

House reef would be great ..
We'd love to have a washer and kitchen ..
Maybe a package with a car and stuff.

Any recommendations?
I've dug around the forums a bit but don't really see many resort reviews .. any links would be appreciated

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

My info. is a bit old, and I didn't shore dive there. Sunscapes Resort Curacao was nice for our family, since there were 3 non-divers to entertain (including a kid) and being in Willemstad for topside attractions was desirable.

If you are looking at the Westpunt region of Curacao, you will be well away from that, in a much more rustic area. You're posting in Lesser Antilles, but Curacao has it's own sub-forum - have you looked there? RIHappyDiver posted a report with Marazul Dive Resort from a January trip. MarkMud posted a June 2021 All West Apartments trip report. Later so did NicKnit. The3DWizard posted on Dreams Resort. Altamira posted about Sunscapes Resort and also the Dive Bus. An option I don't have an immediate link for is Coral Estate Luxury Resort - I seem to recall reading good things about it.

My data is also old, Playa Kalki, Alice in Wonderland, is a great house reef, not quite the quality of Bari Reef in Bonaire. We liked going north better than south

Go West does indeed have an amazing house reef. When we visit Curacao, we always stay in the Westpunt area. The only place that resembled a resort when we have visited, was the Kura Hulanda Lodge. It has been open/closed so many times that I would not feel inclined to book due to uncertainty. There are plenty of nice places to stay near Go West, but more of a DIY, non resort atmosphere.

The Coral Estate Resort is located between Westpunt and Willemstad. I have not stayed there, but it looks nice. Further south east are Sunscape etc. You will find the above trip report links helpful on expectations of the resorts. My only experience has been in Westpunt. Many units at the Marazul resort(where we have stayed) have washers and kitchens. The house reef is my favorite. Units are no frills, basic but has everything which checks out boxes.

The Go West house reef at playa kalki aka Alice in wonderland is my favorite shore dive on the island. The reef is beautiful, healthy and very fishy. Great topography, large plate and pillar collars.

Go West has a nice set up there. Everything you need. Bathrooms, lockers, rentals, tanks, shaded set up area, rinse tanks and showers.

The resort on site, however, has had issues and not the best reviews. We have never stayed there and would not consider doing so unless things have changed. Things may have improved at the resort but I don't have any current info.

On the western side, we have stayed at Lagun Blou, Allwest Apartments and Nos Krusero. Would recommend all three. Stayed at Lion's Dive once east of the city and thoroughly enjoyed the resort but did not dive there on our short stay.

The Go West house reef at playa kalki aka Alice in wonderland is my favorite shore dive on the island. The reef is beautiful, healthy and very fishy. Great topography, large plate and pillar collars.

Go West has a nice set up there. Everything you need. Bathrooms, lockers, rentals, tanks, shaded set up area, rinse tanks and showers.

The resort on site, however, has had issues and not the best reviews. We have never stayed there and would not consider doing so unless things have changed. Things may have improved at the resort but I don't have any current info.
My wife and I stayed at Lodge Kura Hulanda in 2010, it was very nice back then. We had a fantastic ocean view room. They have had many, many problems since then, not even sure it is operating. Really too bad, a beautiful location. Right next door to Go West Diving, was Ocean Encounters West when we visited.

Marazul Dive Resort looks nice. Many people like All West Apartments.

1652640364767.png

On the western side, we have stayed at Lagun Blou, Allwest Apartments and Nos Krusero. Would recommend all three.
I have some old notes compiled from researching Westpunt options; last opened back in 2019, so may be outdated or have some errors. Even if not, I still couldn't decide for sure whether I'd prefer All West Apartments or Nos Krusero if I ever make it to Westpunt.

Do you think this summary is accurate? If so, might help somebody trying to weigh their choices. I think I've read in somebody's trip report about tank access somewhere changing? It's been 3 years...

All West Apartments gets a lot of attention. Go West has a gear room at All West Apartments, but it’s about a 2-minute drive to the main Go West dive shop, where you boat their boat for boat dives. That dive shop is at another property, Nos Krusero, and Go West offers dive/stay packages at both All West and Nos Krusero with similar pricing, and both sites have a praised shore diving site. So, how to choose? TKaelin stayed at both and thought Nos Krusero was less expensive, but specials might change that. Nos Krusero has a pool area; All West Apartments does not.

Nos Krusero packages by Go West don’t include a rental vehicle; I was told by a Go West representative the trucks and cars at All West Apartments are all reserved for their guests. I was told Nos Krusero is across the street from (about 1-minute walk) the dive shop (where you can store your dive gear), which has both air and nitrox tanks. TKaelin noted his apartment was basic and mosquitos problematic despite screens; he liked the sweeping views of the ocean and hills of Christoffel Park, and said their 3rdfloor apartment has a great porch and view, and the location and price were unbeatable.

The onsite shore dive is Playa Kalki (a.k.a. Alice in Wonderland). TKaelin preferred it to Playa Piscado (more interesting reef, shorter swim out, less boat traffic), and said diving it was very easy without small boat traffic, and with a line from dock-to-reef, navigation was a snap. Tkaelin noted Go West has a nice setup with tanks, benches, shade, showers, lockers, storage and a retail store, coffee for their divers and a small beach bar serving food starting around noon. Unlike at All West tanks are not available 24/7 – Go West hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (as is your tank & gear access); you can get your gear and some tanks out during business hours if you plan to dive outside them.

There’s an in-town restaurant with good prices and menu that delivers to Go West dive shop; Tkaelin’s were delivered in about 20-minutes.

Note: Go West Dive Shop is located at the south end of Lodge Kura Hulanda, but what I’ve read of it recently has been less than complimentary, though things may change.

All West Apartments is a 2-story complex with about 15 ocean-front/facing units and no pool. Go West packages can include rental cars (automatic) or trucks (manual transmission). Tkaelin indicated it’s 30-something steps down to the water for the shore dive. They don’t have a dive shop but have a gear/tank room – but you can only get air tanks here, not nitrox. If you stay at All West and want to dive nitrox, you’ll need to drive about 2-minutes to their dive shop to pick up nitrox tanks. Tkaelin had a room beside the gear/tank room but they left their gear on the porch and walked over to pick up tanks. Go West employee Andreas left weights in Tkaelin’s room so they could start diving their arrival evening.

All West has grills and charcoal.

The onsite shore dive is Playa Piscado (a.k.a. Grandi). Tkaelin said diving there requires being observant of small boats as it’s an active area for fisherman; there’s a dock and ~ dozen small boats. He was complimentary of both shore sites, but deemed Playa Kalki superior to Playa Piscado (but thought Piscado had more bait balls/turtles). An All West advantage is air tanks are available 24/7 and you have a key to the gear room. Dmaziuk noted their gear room is nice – spacious with wind blowing through so gear doesn’t smell like stale pee the next morning.

+1 on Playa Kalki being a more entertaining reef than Playa Piscado/Grandi.

Scraps from the Piscado fishing pier attracted a lot of turtles, so now everybody is bringing snorkelers there by a busload. Snorkelers don't get briefed on the boats, so the boats are now less happy, but also more watchful. It's a not problem if you're diving from AllWest anyway: most of the congestion (both boats and snorkelers) is at the pier/public beach to the right.

One thing to keep in mind is if you want a room at AllWest, you may have to book 6 months in advance.

I have stayed at both All West and Marazul. Both are up in the Westpunt area, close to Go West. All West pluses: Not only ocean view, but ocean front. I cannot imagine better or closer views from anywhere on the island. Large balconies/patio areas. The tank room is stellar and well organized. Easy to load and unload tanks from truck . Minuses: Very basic. No washer inside units. No pool.
Marazul pluses: Gated entry. Most units have a washer and cable TV. Unspoiled and easy shore dive. Well kept pool area with many shaded loungers. Minuses: No designated tank room. Ocean views but not as close to the ocean as All West. Walls of units are thin. We have not had issues with noisy neighbors, but if you did....

I enjoyed stays at both places. If I was looking for more of a resort vibe, I would look at some of the other places listed.

Back
Top Bottom