Best dive operation on the West Side of Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I have decided to take two weeks in July and go to Costa Rica. At this point all we have planed is when and what coast, everything else is still undecided.

I thought that maybe picking a dive operation would be a good way to narrow down what part of the country we want to stay. We have done a lot of backpacking trips in our life and now with a kid we are more into basecamping, where we find a nice house to stay and only take short day trips instead of moving locations every few days, see less of a country but relax way more.

I would like to find a dive operation that can be our go to shop while we are in town, will probably only dive 5-7 days out of 18.

Any thoughts?

I've yet to read anything from a SB member that has been diving along the whole west coast of CR that can compare multiple dive ops. The Pacific coastline is ~800 miles long compared the the Caribbean coast which is only about 132 miles long.

Based on my one time travel to CR (making me an expert - lol) and research into diving, I knew, staying in the town of Jaco, if I wanted to get to a better diving location, it would have involved a 2-4 hour drive south or north. Wound up 15 minutes away in Playa Herradura, where it wasn't what I would consider fantastic diving - just a place to get wet and say I dove in CR..

If I were able to stay anywhere (I'm not because my travel is tied to timeshares) along the coast, I would probably base it on the better diving location as opposed to what someone considers the best dive op. Consider factors such as the season you are going - some ops close during the rainy season.

Tip: Using the search field on the upper right of this page can help you piece together some info about the diving and ops where people have been along the coast.

I dove with Rocket Frog Divers about 10 months ago while on a work trip. I have nothing to compare them to but they are closer to some of the sites I had read about. They ran a nice operation. I did 2-2 tank dives during my stay on Pennisula Papagayo. On one of the days, I was the only diver. On the other other day there were 6-7 of us with two Dive Masters. i would use them again, if I get the chance to go to CR again. The appear to have enough people and boats to be flexible with how many dive groups they have and how experienced.

Back
Top Bottom