Best dive destination in mid-September??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Where do you recommend as a great dive destination in mid September? We want the best weather and conditions for that time period. Warm water is probably preferred for this trip, but we live in Southern California; therefore, we can easily handle water temps down to 55 degrees without needing different gear.

Our only experience away from home was Belize and that was glorious! The resort was remote and comfortable. It was Blackbird Caye out on Turneffe Atoll to be exact, if that gives you an idea of what we have enjoyed in the past.

Thanks for your recommendations! Remember, we want the best weather and viz for mid September! No hurricanes, typhoons, etc...

I've been to Bonaire two September's in a row. I also have a group going again this September.
Only one day, out of the 14 days that I was there at the time, did we experience a threat of rain.
On the one day, just to be safe, they didn't allow the boats to go out, but we were all still allowed to shore dive.
Water temps were around 82 degrees.
My vote is for Bonaire!

Thanks, Natasha.

Anyone else have an opinion? Hawaii? Fiji? There must be other good ideas.

kelphelper once bubbled...
...we live in Southern California... Our only experience away from home was Belize and that was glorious! ..., we want the best weather and viz for mid September! No hurricanes, typhoons, etc...
Aloha Airlines flys from Orange Country direct to Maui. The water's nice and warm in September. The viz at Molokini and Lanai (by boat from Maui) is usually great. The August crowds of tourists have gone home and there's lots of room on the dive boats.

I would recommend trying Morehead City North Carolina. By early September, you will avoid the brutal heat of the South's hot summers but still catch the warm and clear waters of the migrating Gulf Stream, which tends to be closer to shore that time of year. If you check out the travel links on the north carolina portion of north america, you will find a ton of information about the tremendous dive sites available. Temps that time of year will be in the upper 60s to low 70s (depending on depth) and vis will range from 20 to 75 + depending on daily conditions and dive site. While the area is not as glamorous as Hawaii or Caymans etc, I would stack NC wreck dives against almost any other destination!

Back
Top Bottom