best dive boat on cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to thank everyone for their input on dive ops. I prefer and like people to just state who they like (OPS) and why they dive with them. It funny about divers because I never come across so many people who are obsessed with the number of dives you have and they have- it might also seem hypocritical to state that I don't wan to be on a herded tourist boat. Im paying the $2000 grand for this trip! So I get to say what I want. People please Im a commercial diver and make a living off the water here in Miami. I put my dives at 35 or so cause I don't count anymore! Who cares just as long I don't get some out of shape knuckle head for the first or second time diving. Herd them together on a boat to figure it out with me. Cheers please keep the referrals coming by way of names and don't wory about my dives. Thanks
I really hope that Bottom Dwell has just forgotten to update his dive count because unfortunately there are a lot of divers who think that after 35 or so dives that they are now experienced divers. Whilst I don't mean to point fingers at Bottom Dwell that feeling can in general be a dangerous perspective for a diver to have but especially in Cozumel where sites such as Barracuda and San Juan could lead to a tragic outcome.

I also believe that Cozumel is one place where some of the nicest dives can be had on some of the most accessible reefs and the concern that there are hidden dive sights that only experienced divers see is probably overblown. Some of my nicest dives in Coz have been with a small boat full of newbies were a slow relaxed dive led to amazing sights.

Chris

So CHIEF! Can you throw some names of operators that you recommend- and please don't worry what other people think! haha Im staying at Cozumel hotel and resort. Im glad you got a sense of humor!

I want to thank everyone for their input on dive ops. I prefer and like people to just state who they like (OPS) and why they dive with them. It funny about divers because I never come across so many people who are obsessed with the number of dives you have and they have- it might also seem hypocritical to state that I don't wan to be on a herded tourist boat. Im paying the $2000 grand for this trip! So I get to say what I want. People please Im a commercial diver and make a living off the water here in Miami. I put my dives at 35 or so cause I don't count anymore! Who cares just as long I don't get some out of shape knuckle head for the first or second time diving. Herd them together on a boat to figure it out with me. Cheers please keep the referrals coming by way of names and don't wory about my dives. Thanks
Sorry, but I do think that you caused the confusion here. Members don't usually check profiles before responding so your low dive count sticks out - making you sound sophomoric in your desire to avoid newbies when you look like one yourself. Looking over your profile gives more insight to your experience level but you seem to hide your professional dive experience as well are your total dives. It's hard to give honest answers to less than honest questions, ok?

Now, I do understand your desire to not go out on a cattle boat. I don't know what you will do about the buddy thing since you don't seem like the buddy type, but you want to avoid most of the big boats, which commonly cater to rental gear newbies & cruise boat divers. There are many Coz Ops who will better fit your desires, including CVChief's fav if you will have a rental car to get down to the marina for example and others. It can get a little tricky as a dive Ops tries to juggle divers, requests, and boats. My fav usually sends out 2 boats a day, but if he has more newbies to board than one boat can accommodate - he might have to send a coupe of those out one day with more experienced divers, and not do Cathedral that day.

I guess your statement of "paying the $2000 grand for this trip" was a typo and I hope you find the Op you like for a wonderful trip.

You can take a taxi to the caleta if your dive op starts there.

Don- thanks for your feedback. Can you give me a name of your favs- you didn't state the name! Also your mentioned CVCHIEFS fav- but I don't know the name either. Can you post some company names. Oh the 2k covers plane, hotel, dives, food, drinks, tips, and transport etc.. roughly and by the way did you mentioned you stayed at Coz Hotel and Resort and if so what do you think. Im a competitive open water swimmer also and looking for a nice pool to swim laps after a long day fighting drift diving currents!! :D !! Im serious about this too!! haha

---------- Post added March 17th, 2013 at 11:49 PM ----------

Clueless on Caleta? Can you give me more info on this? Much appreciated.

Don- thanks for your feedback. Can you give me a name of your favs- you didn't state the name! Also your mentioned CVCHIEFS fav- but I don't know the name either. Can you post some company names. Oh the 2k covers plane, hotel, dives, food, drinks, tips, and transport etc.. roughly and by the way did you mentioned you stayed at Coz Hotel and Resort and if so what do you think. Im a competitive open water swimmer also and looking for a nice pool to swim laps after a long day fighting drift diving currents!! :D !! Im serious about this too!! haha

---------- Post added March 17th, 2013 at 11:49 PM ----------

Clueless on Caleta? Can you give me more info on this? Much appreciated.
Well, yeah - I have stayed at the Hotel Coz, but I'm a lazy old coot. I make 2 dives in the morning, then loaf around the hotel. You will probably like their huge pool. It's where they take the captive dolphins during hurricanes, a practice that I do not support but the whole captive dolphin industry is easy to despise. Normally, it's fully available to guests. And you sound very athletic, but don't fight the currents. Enjoy the ride. The DMs are required to keep their dive groups more or less together in the park. You can enjoy some leeway on that once your DM knows your dive skills, but stay in sight of your group and ride the currents.

Your typo was $200 thousand = $2 million, but we understand what you meant. :wink:

The house Op at Hotel Coz is Dive Paradise. A lot of divers like them, but most of their boats are so slow. It a big Op and I just have this cattle boat expectation of them. You might like to rent a tank from them for a shore dive if you keep your great yourself. The hotel does have rinse tanks and lockers, BYO lock. I let my Op keep much of my gear and rinse it for me so I never tried the shore diving there, and they pissed me off when they wouldn't send my pony to the fill station for an overnight fill.

Not far from the Hotel Coz is the Blue Angel, a nice walk for people less lazy than myself, or for this discussion - a good Op to go with, who will pick you up at Hotel Coz. Have a chat with the owner in email or on Facebook, be open about your dive experiences, and they should be able to get you on more experienced boats okay for trips to more challenging sites far south or up north - the latter being a whole different dive experience.

I dive with Opal's Dream dive Op. That's a long, involved story that started before the divorce, before Opal's fatal dive accident on an off day, etc. Her mom & I are still FB friends, as is the shop, but I hated that they moved into town. They still pick me up and serve me well, but I just don't go visit at the shop like I did when they were below Hogtown Cafe.

Chief's fav is Scuba With Alison if I have that right, docked at the Caleta marina. He got me to go out with them one day on her boat, with Chief picking me up in his funny rental car they always save for him, and they are super. The boat is huge and comfy, but not big enough for 2 DM lead groups so she just takes out 6 or 8 at a time like the smaller boats. Being such a big boat, she does not waste gas running it to town and back to pickup customers and get them to the sites, but if you don't mind a taxi each way or a rental car, it's a great Op. Really, the idea of take ground transportation to the marina then the boat from there makes good sense if it were not for the taxi union that prevents buses, shared vans, dive Op transportation, etc. The only other down side is that they don't go up to the north reefs.

But really, dive Ops are so very competitive on Coz that most of them are great once you avoid the big Ops and their cattle boats. You could make a list of 20 from the favs reported in threads on this forum, email each, telling them that you are an experienced diver who wants to go out to challenging sites with boats of other experienced divers, adding whatever points you felt important (tank type, Nitrox, price, pickup at hotel, head on board, etc?) and half of those would probably work out ok. I could not tell you which tho. I don't know you and your preferences well enough.

Okay, I'll bite ... usually CV is the big :cheerleader:, but he must be getting shy. I've been diving with Scuba with Alison for 8+ years. Not sure how long CV has been diving with her, but he managed to smuggle Dandy Don on board one day and lived to tell about it :rofl3:, so I'd guess he's been with her awhile. (And I think DD even had a good time???)

She has a super comfy - but fast - converted fishing boat, wth a covered area and a small cabin, and takes out a max of 8 divers. Her boat is parked in the Caleta marina which is a bit south of the Puerta Maya cruise ship pier. So if you stay in town, or anywhere north of Park Royal & El Cid, you usually cab it to the marina to get on the boat. If your staying south, you get picked up along the way. Now are you going to get a boat where everyone's got hundreds & hundreds of dives? Probably not. You might still get some lessd experienced divers on-board. Heck, I was one myself when I first went out with her. But generally, dives on Coz are conducive to divers of various experience diving at varied depths together without it being a problem. And you won't be on a cattle-boat of newbies. My perspective is her goal is for everyone to have a great time diving and all get back on the boat safe. Initially, I like her for her being a stickler about safety, but came to really lover her for her wildly, warped sense of humor. And I've always liked that she doesn't take crap - when it comes to divers diving - no matter what your experience, 5 dives or 500. :shocked2: (I have noooooo idea why CV likes her! :shakehead: Thinking on it, I think he has a thing for her Capitan! :rofl3:) Anyway, that's my 2 cents. We all keep going back to her for more punishment, so she must be doing something right! :eyebrow:

Kat was posting while I was. :cool:

Alison's boat is very nice, with two big engines. It's an awkward size for a dive boat really, too small to take 2 DM with 12 to 16 divers, too large to run into town twice a day picking up and dropping off divers at docks, and I bet Alison regretted buying it at times, but she has made it work out for her well even in the very competitive market. And she is indeed fun to work with & dive with. Chief, his nephew and I were supposed to be a 3 man team that day, but they turned into same ocean divers - I could not keep the 2 in sight at the same time. She let them go where they wanted, and I followed her.

Yeah, Don. She seems to keep the boat booked up, even without running to pick up in town .... so I don't think she's complaining. We had to cancel our trip next week - family medical emergency - and I think she had most if not all of our spots on 8 diving days already refilled by the next day or two after I let her know this past Friday. With the double engines, Carlos can make that sucker fly! So you don't lose speed for comfort. I like having just the 8 as it's never too crowded and there's room to move around. I enjoyed my days of the small six packs, but I'm now spoiled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom