Best " CoolPix" for scuba ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuckster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Nikon 4100 ..... Is this a good underwater camera for a beginner ????? Looks much more affordable than the Canon.

It would be fairly limited. I think the only housing for it is the Fantasee, which I have heard mixed opinions about. I don't think this housing offers any camera control other than point and shoot. You are also limited to the internal flash so range is limited to closeups and you are more prone to backscatter.

The advantage is that it would be pretty an inexpensive way to start, but if you get serious about it you will outgrow it fast.

SteveB

Yup, the newer Fantasea housings only have the more basic functions for the newer 2200, 3200, 4200 Nikon Coolpix series.....

I have the 2 year old nikon 4300 with a Fantasea CP4 pro housing (actually I've had 2 of these set-ups.) The CP4 pro gets you full manual exposure control plus other additional features over the basic models.

You can still get the Nikon 4300 off of ebay factory refurbished for $225, and another $150 for the Fantasea pro housing from Leisure pro gets you into an awesome surface camera, plus housing, for right around $400.........and you CAN use an externally fired opto-sensed strobe with these too.

That said, yes I did just have a brand new fantasea housing flood on me, but they do offer a 1 year flood warrenty with their product, so I'm now waiting to see how that pans out.

I would go for the Canon. The A85 and A95 have housings that allow for complete control over the camera. You can buy an A85 for a little over $200. The housing is around $200. They also take AA batteries.

The best Nikon for underwater is Coolpix 4300. The Fantasea housing allows you to control shutter speed and aperture. I think that it doesn't allow you to turn the flash on or off. B&H sells the pro housing for $144. The other downside to this camera is that it doesn't have an autofocus assist illuminator. That won't matter underwater, but for indoor shots the focusing isn't very good. The 4300 comes with a lithium battery but you should buy a second one. You can also use a non-rechargeable 2CR5 battery as a backup.

Newer models like the 4100 have an illuminator but don't allow manual control.

All of the housings for the Nikon & Canon cameras allow you to use wide angle lenses and stobes.

For your information we have recently upgraded the Fantasea CP-3N (for Coolpix
2200, 3200, 4100 and 5100) and the CP-5 for the Coolpix 4200 and 5200. The new units include a built in plexiglass diffuser and extra controls for the internal strobe.
As these cameras have limited or viturally no Manual function it is really unecessary to have controls which you will never use.

The upgraded version can be seen in the on line catalogue at http://www.fantasea.com/catalogues/fantasea_2005.pdf along with the entire collection of accessory products for these housings.

Best wishes
Howard
Fantasea Line

RockyHeap:
Yup, the newer Fantasea housings only have the more basic functions for the newer 2200, 3200, 4200 Nikon Coolpix series.....

I have the 2 year old nikon 4300 with a Fantasea CP4 pro housing (actually I've had 2 of these set-ups.) The CP4 pro gets you full manual exposure control plus other additional features over the basic models.

You can still get the Nikon 4300 off of ebay factory refurbished for $225, and another $150 for the Fantasea pro housing from Leisure pro gets you into an awesome surface camera, plus housing, for right around $400.........and you CAN use an externally fired opto-sensed strobe with these too.

That said, yes I did just have a brand new fantasea housing flood on me, but they do offer a 1 year flood warrenty with their product, so I'm now waiting to see how that pans out.

You can get this great camera and the quite good housing for under 500$ and have amazing results. If you are new to UW photography, this should be more than enough before you decide to go for some pro solution.
With a bit of training you can get excellent macros and quite good standard photos. Also, try using Nikon software for colour enhancements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom