Best cameras per category

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

npole

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine which camera fits each category and can be considered the "best overall" (trying to be generic without falling in the specific cases).
It's an argument that is often published every now and then by the "press", but we know that they are often too political correct for a real judgement so I would like to have some help from you to compile a "ideal" (and updated) list, as I tried only a limited number of cameras and for many I just heard others opinions (that could be true or not...).

So here I start for what I know / have listened:

- Action Cameras: I really know very little about this category. I don't know if the GoPro brand still the king here. I personally use a SJCAM but only as backup if my primary gear doesn't work and I'm OK with it (amateur videos).

- Compact cameras: it looks like that the best for the bucks here is the Olympus TG-5. There's really no competitors in this category. We have the Nikon W300, however the lack of a proper housing does limit the camera a lot (in theory it can be used up to 30 meters deep.. but the reality is very different, believe me..).

- Compact advanced cameras: here we have more competitors. It looks like that Panasonic LX10/15 should be the best overall (for both videos and photos) producing better results (especially about the white balance) of a Sony RX100V, that I would consider a runner up, followed by the Canon G7X2. Do you have experience with this camera? How does the new RX100VA compares with the RX100V ? The LX10 is really superior overall? Is the G7X2 popular? Is there any other camera that could be considered?

- Mirrorless: here the story is more tricky. Until some years ago the Olympus MD5Mk2 was a powerful machine (it still outside of the water, but underwater it cannot compete, especially in the video side), but in the recent years they have evolved a lot. What's actually the best underwater mirrorless camera? Panasonic GH5? Sony Alpha? Sony a6500? Without considering the cost, assuming they would cost all the same... which camera you would chose?

- Reflex APS-C/FF: there's too much to talk here.. so I don't even start. :)

- Professional/Cinema cameras: Red and whatever.. I can only dream about one of those.

Any help in making the above list more accurate would be really appreciated. Thank you!

I think that almost all of this that you read about is opinion and not based much on data, certainly skilled photographers can get great shots with a wide variety of cameras and much is based on what you want to do with the pics. If you want to print 20x40 inch prints, your TG5 isn't going to cut it, but for the web, the TG5 will be fine. In terms of mirrorless, I think you need to think more about sensor size, FF, 4/3, micro 4/3, APS-C etc. The new FF Sonys are FF and compete directly with the 5DIV and D810s of the world.

Cheers
Bill

Stuffing every penny into my piggy bank for the Nikon D5. By the time I can afford the camera and housing Nikon will probably have the D7 on the market.
Alex Mustard: Nikon D5 First Thoughts ::

Before I got a D5, I would read the DXO review. They don't like the image quality very much.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom