Best camera backpack for airline (dry) & dive boat (wet)???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arenny

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for a backpack that I can get all my U/W camera equipment in and carry on to the airplane, Oly C5050, tetra housing and lenses, arms etc.

I would also like it to be something that I can carry to the boat when diving and can put my wet lenses and housing in when I am done diving for protection. So it would have to be something I can wash salt water off of.

Anything like that around? :D

Lowepro has several options...

My oly system with all the bits fits nicely into a Canon backpack I found for like $50 at a camera store. I now have two. One never goes on the boat, one does. I also packed the vast majority of my new dslr system, including macro ports, into it. The housing doesn't fit as it's too fat :( But only by a little bit!

arenny:
I am looking for a backpack that I can get all my U/W camera equipment in and carry on to the airplane, Oly C5050, tetra housing and lenses, arms etc.

I would also like it to be something that I can carry to the boat when diving and can put my wet lenses and housing in when I am done diving for protection. So it would have to be something I can wash salt water off of.

Anything like that around? :D
i use a pelican case!!

I like the price on the Canon one... good idea on keeping one wet and one "dry" I end up wrapping my stuff in towels to protect it on the boat and then in a bag.

Are pelican cases allowed as carry on these days?

I use the LowePro DryZone.

DryZone_200_2_n.jpg

It works nicely as a carry-on backpack and is completey waterproof. I've taken mine on dive boats as well as in to the mountains in blizzard conditions. Keeps your equipment dry and safe and yet allows freedom of movement that a hard case doesn't.

The downsides are that it is not cheap and the waterproof zipper system is a bit of a pain to get in and out of many times in the course of a day. If you don't really need a waterproof bag I'd look for something else.

If on the other hand you plan on getting it so wet that you want to routinely hose it down I think a small hard case would be the best option.

I saw some hard case optios at Bamboo Reef in Monterey last week. I'm sure BackScatter also sells cases.

arenny:
Are pelican cases allowed as carry on these days?
arenny, i asked the same question!! so i started a thread here on the board a week or so ago and talked to MANY of our photographers here on the board and they all said mostly the same thing, pelican was the better way to go and yes they are a carry on and so that is the reson i just two or three days ago bought one and i do like it and will carry it on with me friday to the phillipines

Thanks! Can you send me a link for that thread, I did a search before posting but didn't come accross it.

Dee - Thanks for your tip on the Zing pouches for lenses - bought 4 today!!

I would either use the Lowepro Dryzone backpack or a hard Storm or Pelican case. The hard cases offer the most protection for your system. My recommendation would be go with the Storm iM2500 roller case which is also a carry on. You can get it with padded dividers or with pick 'n pluck foam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom