Best Budget Options in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klukoff

New
Reaction score
A friend and I, both recently open water certified, plan to spend a week in early February scuba diving in Thailand. We hope to spend $75 a day total (accommodations, food, diving, etc.). We plan to dive once or twice a day, and spend the rest of the time on the beach.

We are of the backpacker ilk, but more interested in relaxing than partying. If we can "get away" from the crowds a little bit on our budget, that would be ideal.

Is this realistic? Any recommendations on how/where to do it?

-Kai

Koh Tao may be a good spot. Certainly you can get by on $75 p/d. Stay out of Sairee Beach and Mae Haad to avoid the crowds, Chalok Baan kow is less crowded and on a beautiful Bay.

Yes, Koh Tao will probably be the cheapest option.

For quality of diving though I would recommend to go to the West Coast. Phuket is known as a touristy place but also has spots away from the crowds, Ao Nang, Phi Phi away from Tonsai, Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are all good options. From Khao Lak the diving will be most expensive.
For 75 US$ a day including diving though Koh Tao is probably your only option, and even that will be very tight.

I agree with Steven. On that budget Koh Tao is probably the only way to go. You could maybe find some cheap shore diving on Phi Phi. Day trips on boats including equipment hire is usually around 3000-4000 baht. But sense February is peek season here cheap accommodation might be hard to find, specially if you want some peace and quiet.

Good luck guys, and I hope you have a fantastic time here.

Sanna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom