Best BCD for small stature 14 year old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max2223

New
Reaction score
I'm finally looking for a BCD to buy for myself and I'm kind of having trouble. I'm 14, male, 4'7" and 76 pounds. I'm preferably looking for one with a crotch strap too.
I could go off of plain old measurements but I'm asking because I'd rather have some more experienced advice if there's anything more I should know or anything I should look into.

I know I just created this account, I'm just starting to buy my own equipment so I decided to ask around here for advice, I know new accounts tend to be considered more sketchy so I'm just putting it out there.

DSS weighted steel BP/W (first!)

j/k

I would find a used XS BCD. At 14 you will grow in-to / out-of anything quickly. Depending on how often you plan to dive, might consider just renting for a while.

I'm finally looking for a BCD to buy for myself and I'm kind of having trouble. I'm 14, male, 4'7" and 76 pounds. I'm preferably looking for one with a crotch strap too.
I could go off of plain old measurements but I'm asking because I'd rather have some more experienced advice if there's anything more I should know or anything I should look into.

I know I just created this account, I'm just starting to buy my own equipment so I decided to ask around here for advice, I know new accounts tend to be considered more sketchy so I'm just putting it out there.
PM sent

what is your torso length? if you have short legs, a standard size plate might be ok and gives you room to grow into vs a short plate that is better now, but you might outgrow. check out caveadventurers for the oxycheq small plate. the other option is to go sidemount with a razor style harness.

Zeagle makes a Ranger Jr but once you outgrow it you'll have to sell it. You might be too big for tit now.

Listen to what everyone has to say here then try to locate those brands locally so you can Try Them On.

Given your size mow, I feel it's the only way to be sure. Some have internal adjustments also - so they can be expanded/contracted as needed.

IIRC the Cressi line goes to XXS in some of their gear. I helped provide gear for an 8th grade dive class some friends taught and that's what we used.

There's also soft backplate options like Zeagle's Express Tech, I think Hollis makes one and Diverite a;lso. If you're big enough for the soft plate now, ypu can add a bigger wing later if needed. I think they take a crtch strap.

One advantage to a Backplate/Wing that others have mentioned is that if you can find a plate that works, the harness is just straps so adjustable to almost any size. Plus they all take crotch straps. Not too many rec BC's will off the shelf. Plus the plate is most of your dive weight given your weight now. If a steel plate is too heavy they're made in aluminum also.

Another option to consider is the Zeagle Range or Zeagle Stiletto. The good thing about Zeagle BC's is they're modular so you custom build them to fit you. So you can do like XS shoulder straps, an XS cumberbund, 35# wing (Stiletto), etc. And they do offer a couple of different options for crotch straps. You can get like a 1" or 2" single or you can get Zeagles split saddle strap, which is a 2" strap that attaches to the bottom back of the BC then splits and a 1" strap goes up each side of the crotch and clips in. It's the one I use and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Absolutely no riding up going on!

I would go to a good shop that has a variety and see what fits best. Had one BCD that was bought on recommendations. Was not a good fit and ended up making the few dives I used it on uncomfortable. It was too big and chaffed around my neck a lot. Expensive mistake.

If you go for a BP/W, even if you need the short plate now it will be an easy sell in the future when you want to replace it with the standard size. Nothing else will have to be changed.

Check out the Aqualung Rogue. I bought two of them for my boys. The shop can configure the shoulders, back and waist assembly to fit you well.

Check out the Aqualung Rogue. I bought two of them for my boys. The shop can configure the shoulders, back and waist assembly to fit you well.
I doubt the size small Rogue would be small enough. The size chart says no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom