Best "bang for your buck" dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikwho

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Whats the best primary dive light in the $100 range??? I have been looking at the Princeton Tec Shockwave L.E.D. Light as well as the Princeton Tec Miniwave L.E.D. Any thoughts?

ScubaPro Fuego.........

From Scuba Diver Magazine......

SCUBAPRO Fuego
The Fuego is a traditional-style pocket light that¿s powerful enough to be used as a primary light, yet compact enough to fit in most BC pockets. The light runs on four C-cells and a single five-watt LED delivered the brightest hot spot in its group with a two-foot-wide beam and enough of a halo (about three feet out from the beam¿s edge) to illuminate the periphery on a night dive. It has a rubberized co-molded body that allows for a good grip and a locking On/Off switch that you can activate one-handed. If we could only have one light for both day and night diving, the Fuego would be our clear choice. But deep divers should beware of its 200-foot max depth limit.

28 New Dive Lights | Scuba Diving Magazine

Just a thought........M

The best bang for your buck is probably the Cree MC-E diving light reviewed several threads below.

Those that you are looking at are probably as good as any of that type. They seem to be bright.

It depends somewhat on where you typically dive and therefore what your needs are. If it's clear tropical waters you might prefer a smaller light with a little less power or with perhaps a broader beam.

It it's limited viz waters you want a focused beam and as much power as you can get. It also just depends on personal preference such as pistol grip vs lantern grip vs hands free mounts.

Last edited:
Definitely not in your $100 price range. Look at Nocturnal Dive lights.

SLX 800t Dive Lights

I've had for a couple of seasons now the 300 lumen version. That thing has been solid and tough as nails. It easily kept up with my buddies 10w DR HID canister light. Not quite the same penetrating power, but a whiter more even light.

The amount of money that I had spent on cheaper primary lights easily would have easily paid for the Nocturnal light.

What I found was that when I got a good light, I actually enjoyed night diving and did a lot more of it. It really helps when you can see and the colors look good.

Just for for thought.

What conditions will you be using it in? There's no such thing as best, this choice is partly a mater of where you dive and partly a matter of your preferences. If you're traveling to warm clear water someplace, either of those would be fine, though for travel I'd go with the Miniwave for compactness and fewer batteries needed. They have a decently broad beam and I often run it on the lower setting if I don't want to bother the critters.

If you're diving in murkier waters you may want something brighter. Though when I night dove in New England I did it with your average 4C xenon or halogen lights that are nowhere near as bright as the HIDs everyone talks about now and it was fine.

I take a light on every dive........well OK maybe not a shallow local daytime lake dive where we are always close to shore.......

But certainly every open water ocean dive........and at least two lights on every night dive......

So for this "always" dive light - a smaller LED is way to go as it fits so easily in a BDC pocket or attached on my BP/W harness.

LED is very robust so it can survive travel and bouncing around a boat and offers long battery life........

The miniwave or shockwave are nice but too big to take in a pocket or strapped to my harness.

While a smaller LED light is not for deep wreck penetration, caves and will not pierce dark murky low vis water.......that we enjoy so much up here.....:).......I think it is a "must have" part of your dive kit and can work very well for so many applications

M

DealExtreme: $81.00 Diving Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen LED Flashlight Kit (2*18650/4*CR123A/4*16340)

I don't have to say another word on this subject...............BUT I WILL..........LOL

This light is awesome and only $81.00 shipped including batteries and charger.
Nowhere else will you find a light this bright with everything you need included at this price.
Small enough to be a back up, bright enough to be your primary.

Thanks everyone. I was in lake pleasant this weekend at 110 feet at the old dam with about eight to ten feet of vis. Had a little 4c cell princeton light. not as good as i would have liked. I need a light with a lot of power.

110 ft in a lake with 10 ft vis - I think you will spend a lot more than $100 on a light for that type of diving.......

I use a Dive Rite 10 W HID......I had the light for years now and spent big $$$$ on it, but it has been a great light.....

Newer LEDs are more powerful and you can get better HID's for the same money I spent, but they are a step above the "all purpose" smaller dive light.....

Sounds like 21 W Salvo would work for you......

M

Back
Top Bottom