Best area to dive in Argentina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know what is the best area to dive in Argentina january - feb, any big stuff to see ?

Hi. I live in Argentina.
Several good places to dive in Argentina.
The best places, at least for me, are Las Grutas, Puerto Madryn and Lago Traful.
In Las Grutas there is only one dive operator "Cota Cero" Cota Cero Buceo | San Antonio Oeste
There are several new artificial wrecks available. In January you can dive with 5 mm wetsuit.
In Puerto Madryn there are several dive operators. I would recommend to contact "Scuba Duba Buceo" Scuba Duba Buceo | Puerto Madryn I consider they are the most recommended dive operator.
Puerto Madryn would need drysuit year round. All Operator there can rent drysuits.
Las Grutas and Puerto Madryn are in the Atlantic Ocean coast.
Lago Traful is a melted ice lake in the other side, near the Cordillera de los Andes that separates Argentina from Chile.
Visibility could reach 50 meters or more and there you can dive in the "submerged forest". The submerged forest is the consequence of a land slide of the mountain nearby the lake, where a whole forest run down the mountain to the lake.
You can dive the lake in summer with a 2 part 7 mm wetsuit. You can rent the suit. I would recommend "Arum-Co" dive operator Arüm-Co Buceo | San Carlos de Bariloche located in Playa Bonita over the Nahuel Huapi lake in Bariloche.
The landscape is breathtaking.
All those places are far from Buenos Aires.
Las Grutas is something like 1100 km from Buenos Aires, Puerto Madryn 1400 km, and Bariloche 1800 km.
There are several other places, but those mentioned are the best for me.
I guess that all those operators mentioned could speak english, but Spanish speaking would be a plus.

Attachments

• MICR2395.jpg
    MICR2395.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi. I live in Argentina.
Several good places to dive in Argentina.
The best places, at least for me, are Las Grutas, Puerto Madryn and Lago Traful.
In Las Grutas there is only one dive operator "Cota Cero" Cota Cero Buceo | San Antonio Oeste
There are several new artificial wrecks available. In January you can dive with 5 mm wetsuit.
In Puerto Madryn there are several dive operators. I would recommend to contact "Scuba Duba Buceo" Scuba Duba Buceo | Puerto Madryn I consider they are the most recommended dive operator.
Puerto Madryn would need drysuit year round. All Operator there can rent drysuits.
Las Grutas and Puerto Madryn are in the Atlantic Ocean coast.
Lago Traful is a melted ice lake in the other side, near the Cordillera de los Andes that separates Argentina from Chile.
Visibility could reach 50 meters or more and there you can dive in the "submerged forest". The submerged forest is the consequence of a land slide of the mountain nearby the lake, where a whole forest run down the mountain to the lake.
You can dive the lake in summer with a 2 part 7 mm wetsuit. You can rent the suit. I would recommend "Arum-Co" dive operator Arüm-Co Buceo | San Carlos de Bariloche located in Playa Bonita over the Nahuel Huapi lake in Bariloche.
The landscape is breathtaking.
All those places are far from Buenos Aires.
Las Grutas is something like 1100 km from Buenos Aires, Puerto Madryn 1400 km, and Bariloche 1800 km.
There are several other places, but those mentioned are the best for me.
I guess that all those operators mentioned could speak english, but Spanish speaking would be a plus.
Thanks for the infos, so nothing like the Galapagos or big action with sharks anywhere in Argentina, right ? And what about Chile ?

Almost impossible to find any shark in the coast of Argentina. I know nothing about diving in the coast of Chile. The single thing I can tell you about the Pacific coast of Chile is that you will need drysuit year round.

Thank for the suggestions Emoreira - I pass through Argentina often but have never dived there: I now have Lago Traful and Puerto Madryn on my 'must dive' list.

One question: do you get any kelp forests in the far south (Santa Cruz or even Tierra de Fuego), and if so are there any dive operations down that way?

Saludos,
Rohan.

Thank for the suggestions Emoreira - I pass through Argentina often but have never dived there: I now have Lago Traful and Puerto Madryn on my 'must dive' list.

One question: do you get any kelp forests in the far south (Santa Cruz or even Tierra de Fuego), and if so are there any dive operations down that way?

Saludos,
Rohan.
Hi Rohan.
A very published dive site is Ushuaia, the "End of the world".
It's too expensive for us, but people that have dived there says it's wonderful.
It's also far too chilly for the average diver, with water temperatures ranging 4 degrees Celcius (39 - 40 °F) year round.
A famous dive Operator is Ushuaia Divers Ushuaia Divers | Ushuaia
Usually they do one dive per day and short dives (25 minutes) at shallows, because the water is so cold that the second dive is usually cancelled. Your face will be frozen after the dive.
There are kelp forests down there. The whole zone is full of kelp forests. That's why the people that lives in the Falkland islands (Malvinas Argentinas for us) are named "The Kelpers".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom