Best area in Sharm for both snorkeling and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning a trip to Egypt. I was considering Marsa Alam area, but some people told me that actually except for some specific dives (Dedalus, etc.) the area of Sharm el Sheikh is better. More interesting sea life. My wife doesn't dive. She does only snorkeling preferably in very low water. Scared of giant octopus, megalodons, and so. I know I am supposed to convince her there is no real risk, no way, I've been trying for years... only exception if there are plenty of dolphins to swim with. Then she takes the risk

Do you have any specific recommendations about the part of Sharm El Sheikh to stay in? Especially considering the necessity of an easy to access snorkeling hotspot.

I have been recommended www.sharmscubaservice.com as a diving and Oriental Tivoli Hotel or Domina Coral Bay hotel. I report them just a starting point, I am open to any recommendation based on the info I gave above

Thanks

Marsa Alam is very nice place! Both, for diving and snorkeling!
We was in Utopia Beach Club and have diving with Utopia Dive Center El Quseir - it is not Marsa Alam, but nearby - El Quseir. https://yandex.ru/maps/?l=sat,skl&ll=34.391354,25.939671&z=17
There if you have buddy - you can just take a tanks and go dive!
And there was very profeccional personel from Germany.
you can see few my photos here https://my.mail.ru/mail/raven123/photo/257

In the Marsa Alam my friends do likes Coraya bay https://yandex.ru/maps/?l=sat,skl&ll=34.607621,25.602096&z=17
Coraya Divers - Coraya-Divers Coraya Bay & Brayka Bay

Interesting. I am still thinking of going to Sharm el Sheikh because I saw pictures of Tiran and Ras Muhammad that seem to be very promising. At the same time Marsa Alam is maybe better than Sharm for snorkeling. Will have to decide and choose one of the two places

to my knowledge, there's no good on-shore snorkeling at Sharm; but you can join day boat to visit Ras Mohamed and Tiran, while in Dahab most if not all are shore diving.
Generally, Marsa alam has better and more selection for both on shore and boat diving/snorkeling with more chances to see big boys.

I have been recommended by some to stay out of Naama Bay in case I go to Sharm and I want to do snorkeling. So actually to stay north or south of Sharm, but not in downtown Sharm. The scuba dives in Sharm or to be precise in Tiran, Ras Muhammad and the Thistlegorm are considered among the best in Egypt. Perhaps for Scuba Sharm is better than Marsa Alam, where anyway there is Elphingstone reef. For snorkeling on the other hand house reefs in Sharm seem to be considered on average worse than Marsa Alam. The best reefs in Tiran or so require some time to be reached by boat. Another good snorkeling spot in south Egypt seems to be Berenice

Back
Top Bottom