Bermuda cruise in sep first week...need scuba advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello.
I'm going on a royal Caribbean cruise during labor day.I'll be in Bermuda for 2 days.

Please suggest if scuba diving in Bermuda is good. I have 26 dives in my experience and padi ow certified....I've dived in Bonaire and Hawaii to max of 80 feet.

My last dive was in March 2014, in Hawaii(boat dives with jacks in kona ).
Should I take a refresher course?
Can I rent bc and regulator in Bermuda?

Pls suggest which dive company to go with...that's good for beginners.

All I need is simple risk free dives ...not too deep.

Thanks
Kris

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

In my experience, most of the dives in Bermuda (that the ops go to) are "simple risk free dives". One thing to keep in mind-the underwater views in Bermuda are great, but very different than those you have seen in Bonaire. AFAIK, all the ops rent gear.
One thing to keep in mind: getting around Bermuda can be a little bit of a challenge, as :there are no rental cars; Taxis are great, but costly; buses are great, but they run on their schedules, not yours.
Where will your boast be docked? I mention this because one consideration as to which dive op to use is travel time required to get to the op.
Another suggestion-look for a recent thread about diving in Bermuda while on a cruise, there is some info there that might be helpful.
Having said all that: my recommendation for dive op: Dive Bermuda, located at a the Fairmont Southampton hotel's beach.IMO they are a first rate operation, based on many years of diving with them.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks Mike D....Will research what u suggested.

Mike,

I checked their site DIVE Bermuda - Scuba Diving Shop at The Fairmont Southampton Princess.

I'll be doing two tank dive with them renting bc and regulator.

For snorkeling shall I stick with them or just do shore snorkeling?
I'm asking because I'm with a group and only I scuba dive rest of them snorkel. Hiring a taxi around island won't be an issue if shared between few people in our group.

Also is DAN insurance valid there?
How's the water...is it on the cooler side like Hawaii or warm like Bonaire? We're going during labor day.

Thanks

1. Water temps VERY warm. 2. Stick to them for snorkeling. 3. Bermuda is not an easy island to get around. 4. DAN is good.

Good call! I have always found Dive Bermuda to be first rate.

I did a few dives from a cruise ship once in the Caribbean. Here are my suggestions:

1) If you take your own gear leave the dive knife; the cruise line security could confiscate them as you enter the ship. I had mine confiscated and had to check it in & out each time I left and returned to the ship. They did not noticed my daughter's knife so she just left hers in the room.

2) Get DAN insurance...I never leave home without DAN.

3) From your descriptions of your dive experience take a look at what the cruise line has for "excursion dive trips". These dive operators are vetted by the cruise line, will pick you up and drop you off at the dock, use fairly easy to dive dive sites, and if something goes wrong and you are late getting back to the boat...the ship will wait for you. I have seen ships leave customers behind when they are late and NOT on a cruise sponsor excursion trip. It might be a little bit more expensive to use the cruise ship's dive operators but there is also a peace of mind.

4) I have also booked my own dive trips/operators. If you do ask them if they will pick you up and bring you back to the ship. Allow plenty of extra time to ensure if there is a transportation issue you have time to get back aboard before the deadline. It looks like you are already getting advice on couple of dive operators. Ask them plenty of questions before you need to book a trip with them.

5) I have not been to Bermuda but have been to about 8 other Caribbean countries; I would avoid the guy offering to take you diving that you meet just off the ship. They might be OK but than again they might not be.

Have a great time...

~Oldbear~

There used to be a very expensive liveaboard in Bermuda which we did in 2007 but it closed operations a few years ago. Diving in Bermuda us surprisingly good for a place so far north of the equator. In summer the water is quite warm - we were happy in 3mm shorties in September - and the diving conditions excellent. There is quite a bit of coral and fish life but the principal attraction is the multitude of wrecks - Marie Celeste, Lartington etc. Most are relatively shallow and safe penetration is possible over some wrecks.

But as others have said, Bermuda is an expensive place. Commuting is difficult and it is best to stay as close to your dive shop as possible.

Thanks all.

I just found out the royal Caribbean Cruise ship will dock at king's wharf. That seems like a 15 min cab ride to dive Bermuda at fair mount Southampton .

We'll be at land two days. Planning on doing snorkeling and scuba day one and doing site seeing day 2. We'll sleep in the ship at nights it seems.

I'm gonna call dive Bermuda to reserve spots.

1. Is there a local off beach snorkel
Spot that's good and kid friendly nearby to king's wharf?

2. What's the best off beach snorkel Spots that's on the way to famous locations for site seeing?

3. Scuba question: Since space is limited in no of bags in a ship. ..am i better off just taking dive wet suit ,mask, snorkel?
Or shall i also take my huge fins. ...

I guess i can, by minimizing no of clothes in suitcase. I wonder if i need to buy those smaller lighter fins that are travel friendly?

Snorkeling-there is the Snorkel Park at the Dockyard. they have a restaurant and rental gear. closer to fairmont Southampton there is Church Bay which is reputed to be one of the best snorkel spots.

if you go all the way to st George's there is the Tobacco Bay. kid friendly and there are amenities. it's a hike up the hill though unless you get a cab.

dive Bermuda has very good rental gears. i guess you would want to take the snorkeling gear otherwise you will have to rent them everywhere. water will be very warm then so not sure if you'd want to take the wetsuit for one day of diving. normally there is no strong current though there may be swells if there was some weather system nearby recently.

hope this is helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom