Benefits of a boot???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KC2828

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought a Suunto Vyper Novo and was wondering what the benefits or disadvantages of a boot are?

I ask because I was thinking of buying one but wanted pros and cons first.
Thanks

benefit is mostly protecting your computer from dings, scratches etc. Can add a little bulk to the computer. Sometimes boots can change the mounting style of the computer. For example

this just protects

ss021767000_zoop_novo-vyper_novo-rubber_boot_for_computer.png

This changes style of mount:
oms-gauge-mounts-with-bungees-suunto.jpg

If you are talking about a boot like the upper one that loosenit2 posted then, IMO you absolutely want one.

I have a Viper Novo that came with one and a Zoop Novo that didn't. The buttons on the Zoop were almost impossibly stiff to use (certainly diving with squishy neoprene gloves) while the Viper with the boot was fine. I adderd one to the Zoop.

Yeah I use a big boot and clip it across my chest

full.jpg

Did you know I can read my stuff without unclipping

and there's a spare in there, and a perdix on the side

WoW

Just like Warren with a W tattooed on each cheek

See here it is

full.jpg

I installed that butt dump, how's the stiff string

benefit is mostly protecting your computer from dings, scratches etc. Can add a little bulk to the computer. Sometimes boots can change the mounting style of the computer. For example

this just protects

View attachment 586643

This changes style of mount:
View attachment 586644
I have the bungee strap kit from suunto already was contemplating the boot

If you are talking about a boot like the upper one that loosenit2 posted then, IMO you absolutely want one.

I have a Viper Novo that came with one and a Zoop Novo that didn't. The buttons on the Zoop were almost impossibly stiff to use (certainly diving with squishy neoprene gloves) while the Viper with the boot was fine. I adderd one to the Zoop.

I was thinking the boot may help with button pushing :)

The Vyper and Zoop Novo computers' buttons are small and hard to push....the protective boot with the flaps that cover the buttons definitely provides some improvement, especially if/when diving with gloves.

-Z

The boot does make the buttons easier to push. Mine came with the boot along with the bungee mount.

I bought a combined boot / bungee mount from Suunto [1], but I think it was for the Zoop rather than the Zoop Novo. I had to carve it out a bit to fit the Zoop Novo. I also had some weird "refuse to go into dive mode" incidents with the Zoop Novo in the boot. It seems a bit unlikely that the boot is a cause, but I guess it's conceivable.

[1]: Suunto Dive Computer Bungee Mount

Back
Top Bottom