Bellevue Washers Source for Sherwood Magnum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone have a source for some Bellevue washers to fit a Sherwood Magnum? The manual says it takes five but they all seem to have four. I found one source but it only wanted to ship to Australia.

Disc spring washers are sometimes called Belleville washers. Bellevue is an insane asylum.

That might explain why I'm having problems finding them :wink:

So far I found some from Canada and they want an outrageous amount for shipping, and the Australians seem to want to keep them for themselves.

Where in Canada? Perhaps someone could help you out?

Have you tried matching the sizes up at Mc Master Carr?
@rsingler
@Luis H
@Bob DBF
@AFdivedoc

Might be able to chime in.

Yes, I looked at Master Carr but didn't find any made of stainless steel which I assume they are made of. Next I'll have to get a micrometer the measure them. I got a confirmation that the place in Australia does not ship outside of their country, and those have the Sherwood part number so no measuring is necessary. I also found a place in New Zealand but they want about $30 to ship them and I'm not quite that desperate yet. :wink:

This is for an old Sherwood Maximus that came with some stuff I bought on eBay. It looks like it was on the bottom of the ocean for several months but the other stuff (SPG, console, two computers) was all good which is what I was buying :) My plan is to get it working well enough to use with a secondary pressure regulator for air tools. I have no intention of ever diving with it. The danged thing actually worked when I got it but when I took it apart the Belleville springs fell apart. Without them in there I get no LP. The good news is that the second stage seems to be fine. I was using an old US Divers Calypso J first stage but since I added a shim and got the IP up to a descent psi it has become a usable regulator again.

@chillyinCanada I think that was the regular shipping charge (something like $$40 for a couple of dollars of parts) as I hadn't even put in my address yet. Like I said, I'm not that desperate yet :wink: I will be on Cozumel for four weeks so yes, if someone happens to be going there from Canada I'll double-check the shipping :)

Edit: I got mixed up and yes, the shipping price was for the USA. Something like $19.05. I need five of them and they cost 25 cents each (US) and would easily fit in a letter envelope. Seems like a lot for shipping. They appear to have 9 in stock, part number 19-8010-8.

Oops: Sherwood Washers

@couv Well, I guess they aren't SS because a magnet stick to them.

Good news! They asked why I left my parts in the shopping cart without completing my order so I told them. They gave me free shipping. My total for five Belleville washer/springs was $1.25. Unfortunately it looks like they are discontinued and there are only four left. The schematics all call for five but all of my Sherwoods only came with four. This saves me from having to buy lunch or a margarita for a helpful Canadian :wink: Just kidding. I'd be happy to meet whoever would do such a thing :)

Aqua Sport Online

Anyone have a source for some Bellevue washers to fit a Sherwood Magnum? The manual says it takes five but they all seem to have four. I found one source but it only wanted to ship to Australia.

What do you mean by "they all seem to have four"? Do you have multiple 1st stages with one washer missing?!? Any chance one has just been inverted and is nesting next to another one?

There have been a lot of variations of Sherwood Magnum. I doubt that some used 4 washers and some used 5, but perhaps you should supply a couple of good photos so I can look up the exact item and verify the count with you. I checked the 5000/7000 series, and yes that uses 5.

Also, I am pretty sure they are still available from Sherwood.

What do you mean by "they all seem to have four"? Do you have multiple 1st stages with one washer missing?!? Any chance one has just been inverted and is nesting next to another one?

There have been a lot of variations of Sherwood Magnum. I doubt that some used 4 washers and some used 5, but perhaps you should supply a couple of good photos so I can look up the exact item and verify the count with you. I checked the 5000/7000 series, and yes that uses 5.

Also, I am pretty sure they are still available from Sherwood.

I have four Sherwood SRB3300 first stages and I think they all have four of the washers. I don't see how i could have mis-counted but I suppose it's possible. My girlfriend will be happy to tell you that my memory is flawless--I never fail to remember anything incorrectly :wink: I'll look and see if any are nestled, like you said. I make a sketch of how they are stacked whenever I dis-assemble one but I'm thinking they were all stacked the same. I'm not sure how to put it into words, but it' something like "concave" up, concave down, up, down, from top to bottom. In any case I'm sure I put them back the way I found them :) I'm fairly certain that I didn't make a false statement about the number of disc springs but if I did I apologize and you were correct to point it out. There's way too much bad information available already.

I've attached two images, one showing the schematic of the first stages with a side-image that shows the same diagram but with only four Bellevilles. I do not seem to have a schematic for my 1983 Magnums (SRB3300) but the only difference I found is the number of Bellevilles. The schematic is for the Magnum II, Blizzard, Oasis, etc. The other image is the schematic for the Maximus, which shows five and I intend to put five in there. I suppose I could try to count the pieces and determine if there were five originally. If you happen to have a schematic for the original Magnum first stages please post it :) I will try to get some photos either today or tomorrow of at least one Magnum first stage but I happen to be in the middle of another project at the moment. Somewhere I must have the manual for the early SRB3300 but perhaps it's on an old computer and I forgot to transfer the file. I usually print out this sort of thing but it might have been one of those "the printer just died" days.

Thanks for mentioning that Sherwood may still carry the springs. I don't remember exactly but they didn't show up in my search but I must have looked for them on their web site. I will look again.

Hopefully the springs will arrive soon from Canada and this story will have a happy ending :)

Attachments

• Schematic First Stages Magnum II plus.jpg
    Schematic First Stages Magnum II plus.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 167
  • Schematic First Stage Maximus.jpg
    Schematic First Stage Maximus.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 170
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom