Belize Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDonn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a week in Belize with 2 fellow divers, We were all first time belize divers. First let me thank Gaz, Sigourneya, and Ralph Capeling for info that helped us choose where to go.
Since all 3 of us are fairly experienced , we opted to head for the atolls off shore from Belize City. We ended up staying at Blackbird Caye Resort.
This resort is a typical "eco" resort with mostly basic amenities. The staff at the resort were incredibly accomodating. Anything we needed, they supplied, as long as it was on the island. The rooms were basic but kept very clean, with comfortable furnishings and A/C. I woild have liked more meal choices and better snacks, but overall the food was good, and certainly a good value.
For the first half of the week, we were the only divers at the resort, and the second half added 2 more divers. Left a lot of room on the very comfortable boats. There were many others staying at the resort but they were all kayakers.
We managed about 19 dives for the week, many very close to the resort (4-7 minutes away) with a couple at the southern end of the atoll (near TIR), and of course the obligatory Blue Hole/Half Moon Caye/ Long Caye trip. My primary buddy and I completely agreed that as a whole these were some of the best dives ever. Basically, there was no single dive that we didn't enjoy. The reefs were in good to very good shape. Water temp was a pretty consistent 77 at depth-We saw "all the usual suspects", except maybe Mantas and Whale Sharks. The animal life was very diverse and heavy with Turtles, Big Morays, Groupers, Eagle and Sting Rays and then there were the Lion Fish!!!
They were much worse by Blackbird Resort then say at TIR or Half Moon, but they were everywhere. At Blackbird, I fear that if they are not dealt with soon, there will be no other fish on the reefs within 2 years.
All in all, the diving in and around the Turneffe Atoll was some of the consistently best I have seen anywhere in the Caribbean. The Blackbird Caye Resort was a great place to stay and a very good value.
We all agreed that we would come back there again-
Best
DD

Thanks for the report.

Are you going to be posting photos?

When we were at TIR, I never saw any Lion Fish until we went to "The Zoo," which was the closest we got to Blackbird except when we cruised by on our way to the Blue Hole.

Sounds like they're making their way south at a pretty good clip. Bummer.

Downing:
Don't know how long ago you were at TIR, but we saw about 2-4 on both dives there ( The elbow and Front Porch)- but that was equal to virtually nothing compared to the Blackbird Caye area. Actually have a pic of our D/M with 3 Lion Fish on his spear at the same time-unfortunatly that was the only dive that he brought his spear with him.

I am leaving for Hawaii in 2 days( yes, it's a rough life) so I am very busy cleaning, drying and repacking my gear. Will try to get some photos posted when I return.
DD

the lion fish are moving at an incredible speed. i live on utila and didn't see my first one until april 2009, now i see them everyday around my dock and literally dozens everytime i dive.

Back
Top Bottom