Belize Trip end of June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nardulli

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
I am looking for some advice on Belize. I have never been there before - scheduled a trip a couple of years ago, but a big storm heading that way caused us to divert to Bonaire.

I am taking my family. My 16 year old Daughter is newly OW certified. Wife does not dive and my 10 year old son is a bit too young. (hmmm.... really?)

I would truly appreciate any advice on where to stay and with whom to dive. We are looking at house / condo rentals, etc.

Many Thanks!

Hey Jim;
My wife and I have gone to Ambergris Caye several times and love it. San Pedro is the main town and has numerous resorts and such (we do timeshare exchange) that go from economic to pricey. Try ambergriscaye.com it has links to most of the resorts and maps as to were they are and how far to town. As for diving the worlds second largest barrier reef just off shore as well as the Blue Hole. All of the larger dive operations dive out front of San Pedro or at Hol Chan, so it can get a little crowded at times, average boat ride is 10 min. We like to use a smaller operator Chuck & Robbie's. Robbie can be talked into going up north. You are usually the only boat there and I think the reefs are in better shape.
As for your son as a fromer shop manager and instructor I've trained kids as young as 8. It depended on size and strength. Could they handle all of the equipment themselves. Also not having kids with us we didn't look for kid freindly activities, but San Pedro has a lot of little shops and restaurants. What we liked is NO cars (except taxis), you get aound on foot or golf cart. You can do day trips to the mainland to the Mayan ruins, cave tubing, or ziplining thru the jungle canpoy.
Anyway I hope this helps.
Have a get trip.
Dennis Shepherd

Your son can participate in PADI Junior Open Water Course or Discover Scuba Diving. If you are looking for a house or condo you might want to consider San Pedro though prices and traffic increase exponentially all the time. There is also Placencia both of these locations are very touristy and get crowded. The Best diving, however, is at Turneffe Atoll and Lighthouse Reef Atoll, closer to Belize City than either Placencia or San Pedro. There are condos and houses in Belize City and the summer is real slow and laid back or you can check the private island resorts like Water Caye and Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventure Lodge. The Lodge at St. George's Caye is also an option but it's not on a private island. If you venture further south or east you may not have much contact with the mainland and immediate conveniences.

Safe diving

Cyberdyver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom