Belize tourism and the economy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last year I was looking at a trip to Belize and had found several websites for tour companies that specialized in the Mayan ruins, etc. Last week I attempted to view the websites again, and they are no longer active. So, is this the economy hitting Belize travel industry or just a common occurance in businesses going under? I even checked the link on the Aggressor website for the company they recommend and it didn't work. Anybody know what is going on? How is tourism in Belize right now? Is the economy affecting everybody?

robin:D

Can you post some examples? We've had lots of recent internet problems in Belize.

I don't know about the websites, but we spent some time at one of the inland lodges last summer. I found it relatively hard to get good and complete info then about the operators and tours. Normally I am a do-it-yourselfer but we let the place we stayed (Maya Mountain) arrange all our tours and were very happy with the results. I imagine most places will have their tried and true operators they work with and like and keep their guests happy. I'm sure it winds up costing more but I also think it was probably well worth it.

I just checked a couple of them and they seem to be working again. The main one, the one that used to be listed on the Aggressor website, is missing though. Maybe they are the only one with problems and the others were just down due to internet problems. :confused:

thanks everybody!

Many tourists here have been commenting on full flights coming down from the states to here lately and I have also been seeing lots of tourist activity in the past few weeks. Some folks are doing more bargain hunting than others but they are still coming to Belize. With oil and gas prices bottoming out, flights are getting cheaper and maritime operations (diving, island resorts, etc.) are receiving great savings on their gas bills every month now, so they can pass some of those savings along to the tourists. I have not heard of any businesses here collapsing due to global economic conditions and I would not really expect that while in the high season. Probably internet problems of which Belize is famous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom