Belize: Things to do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcclete22

Reaction score
OK, so I have heard from people about the amazing diving in Belize, but what else is available? I mean, not sure how much out of the water time we will have, but interested in things to do while off gassing.

Well, there is so much to do that it would be impossible to do all of it in a short trip!

In addition to the diving, here are other things to do:

Mayan Ruins:
Lamanai is one of the largest, and the New River jungle river tour on the way to Lamanai is supposed to be awesome
also La Milpa

Cave Tubing: at Caves Branch or others

Caving: at Caves Branch or other caves

Jungle Tours:
Rio Bravo Conservation Area
Cocksbomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary (Jaguar Reserve)
Community Baboon Sanctuary
Bacalar Chico
Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary

Night jungle tours/safaris

Belize Zoo

Manatee watching: near Swallow Caye or other areas

Waterfalls

Sailboarding, Sailing

Fishing

Those are just SOME of the interesting things to do in Belize.
I haven't been yet, but I'm planning for my trip in January.
So much I want to see, so little time... :loopy: :D

Some websites:

http://www.travelbelize.org/

http://www.belizenet.com/

http://www.belizeit.com/index.htm

Was in Belize a couple of years ago. The only thing I wouldn't do again is go back to Belize City, otherwise the country is wonderful. The previous list is a good list.

For something a little different try Martz Farm - a "farm" stay in tree houses in the jungle. NOT 5 star, this is a small operation run by a local and his German wife. You will either love it or hate it. I loved it my partner did not, but it is the story we both tell about the trip.

You are right in the jungle, in a two story treehouse build from timber harvested by hand from the property. In a fairly comfy bed with candles for light. The waterfall and creek that runs at the base of the tree is the shower and bath. A good chance of nightly visitors.

Go horseback riding with the owner - hike down a cliff through and down a waterfall. Srared the cr*p out of me, but is perfectly safe.

Lots to see and do ranging in price from very reasonable to ridiculous. We flew to the border and drove to the coast over several days. Mayen ruins from huge and well restored to mounds in the jungle.

Lots of folks who visit Belize split their time between inland and water activities. Although you can day trip from Ambergris, staying in the San Ignacio area is a great way to see jungle, rivers, and ruins (including Tikal over the border in Guatemala - highly recommended) if you only have a few days. We spent nearly a month in Belize and only a week of it was on the water; let me know if you'd like information on more extended inland activities. Here's a link to the Belize Forum, a great resource in planning a trip:

http://www.belizeforum.com

Happy trails!

We just got back from Belize/ San Perdo last week. The non-diving things we did:

Belize Zoo: It is really nice, but very small. Be sure to wear insect repellant. The whole zoo took about 2 hours to walk through, and we walk really slow and took tons of pictures.

Cave Tubing: The cave tubing in the jaguar paw resort was excellent. There are two different caves you can go through. We went through the crystal caves and it was amazing! It was discovered in 1997, but sometimes it is unaccessable because of the rainfall. Wear sturdy water shoes and insect repellant for this. It involves a lot of walking over uneven terrain, most of which is in the dark with a head lamp lighting your way. We took a tour through our hotel and it was the cave tubing/Belize Zoo. It took all day to do both because we were not on the mainland.

Beach BBQ: One day we did a snorkle/beach BBQ. It was really nice. We got to catch our own fish and lobster while snorkling and the guide BBQ'ed it on the beach for us.

Fishing: We took a half day trip right near San Pedro inside the reef. We ended up catching 2 baracudda and a whole lot of smaller fish, like snapper and red fish. We had brought our own fish fry and the guide cut it up for us and we ate it for dinner that night.

Ziplining: We did not do the ziplining, but a friend of ours did and they said it was lovely, but short and expensive.

Viewing the Ruins: We did not do this either, but another couple we met did it and said they really liked it, except that in the 50's, archeologists had renovated it, so they felt a bit cheater because it was not authentic.

Anyway, hope this helps on some stuff to do.

We also just returned from Belize and had a great time. Spend a few days in San Ignacio in the Cayo district and did some bird watching, cave exploring (Barton Creek Cave) and a side trip to the fantastic Tikal ruins in Guatemala (used Mayawalk Tours to get there). We stayed at Martha's Guesthouse (http://www.marthasbelize.com/) in San Ignacio which I would recommend and they have a great food too. Then returned to Belize City and took a water taxi to Caye Caulker which we used as our base for diving. I would agree that Belize City can be skipped as it is hard to walk down the street without being harrassed by tourist guides left and right.

Alot of helpful and informative stuff. Thank you all very much. Also others, please feel free to add anything. I am kind of trying to show why this is a good vacation, I have never been, but my sister loved it there. Thanks again.

My wife and I just got back from a 7 day trip to Belize. We stayed in a rental house on the northend of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. We did 2 days of local diving with Chuck & Robbie (http://www.ambergriscayediving.com) . Robbie did a great job watching over us newbies (this was our first saltwater dive trip) and took us to some very nice dive sites. We also did the Turneffe trip Amigos Del Mar....they have a nice 45' boat they use for the longer Blue Hole and Turneffe trips. We didn't actually get to dive the elbow due to bad viz and current conditions...but the 3 sites we did dive were amazing. This trip we also did the Lamanai trip....very cool...the river boat ride to the ruins site was also neat. We saw lots of wild life...many birds,gators, even bats. Saw and heard a group of howler monkeys at the ruins. The cave tubing and belize zoo are also worth going on....we did those on our first trip to belize last April. You can also find more info at www.ambergriscaye.com

Spent 4 days at Jaguar Paw then a week at Blackbird. We had a great time. Did Crystal cave and the seven caves tubing. Ruins, zipline, night time jungle hike and a bunch more. Then dove for a week. Highly recommend both places. Would love to go back but I just book Roatan. Want to give that a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom