Belize, Roatan, or Old Providence in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mergs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey fellow divers - my husband and I are planning a dive trip between Thanksgiving and December of this year, and we need some help deciding where to go.

We are considering Belize, Roatan, and Old Providence (based on some other posts that I saw on here). We do Cozumel every year, so please no Coz suggestions.

I'm looking for some suggestions on Belize vs the other two destinations, and also some feedback on what the diving is like in the month of December.

Thank you for any help!

Due to US cold fronts being possible @ that time of year------I'd go with Roatan(you can dive 365 there---they just take the boats to other side of the island when a front is coming in------etc etc etc ).........Plus, NO BUGS then...:)..(December was always our best time of the year to go---we owned a house on the beach there for 14 years & sold it in '08)...........

Belize = Turneffe Island Resort

Or just stay on the south side. There's this dive resort called Cocoview...:wink:

Thanks for the tips! What about the diving? Belize vs Roatan? I realize that can be a subjective question :)

Thanks for the tips! What about the diving? Belize vs Roatan? I realize that can be a subjective question :)

Depends on what day & where you heading??.......:)..........

So what does CCV do in the summer(well 75% of the time) when big (prevailing)winds are out of the SE??......That's why the north side is better--IMO---only 2 good spots on the south side are Mary's Place & Cara a cara dive...hello......:).......There is a dive resort called AKR........

I'd like to make sure I understand what you mean by "between Thanksgiving and December." If you mean that you will be leaving November 27 and coming back on December 1, that would give you maybe two days of diving.

And I'd like to know what you're looking for in accommodations. I can't speak to Providence, but have spent many years in either Belize or Roatan during November and December. The answer of what to expect is all up to mother nature. Sometimes it's superb weather and good diving conditions. Sometimes it's cold, rough surface conditions, but otherwise diving is still good. How long do you intend to stay? One week, 2'-4?

Belize...how about Blackbird Caye Resort, Turneffe Flats Resort, or Turneffe Island Resort. Maybe Huracan Diving or Itza Lodge for smaller places not so fancy, fans but no A/C. Itza was mentioned to me by chillyinCanada a short time back.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2015 at 01:53 PM ----------

Or how about Grand Cayman...? There are some deals to be had a Cobalt Coast Resort depending upon dates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom