belize or mexico in july/august?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulhalmoni

Reaction score
I am Canadian - but I currently work in Turkey
# of dives
0 - 24
(please note, I have reposted this in the proper place since I first posted it in general scuba questions)

HI everyone
I am planning my summer vacation and would like to take my family to North Ambergris Caye in Belize for a few weeks this summer.
I know it is rainy season there - but will it be ok weather wise and for diving?
I was in Thailand during rainy season last summer and sometimes had problems bc of the rain - making the water murky.
in other words - will it rain so hard that we will be miserable and unable to do anything?
The other option - although Belize is my first - is Mexico.
What places would you recommend in Mexico for diving at that time.
This is all keeping in mind that i am the only serious diver - mom and dad snorkel a bit - so i am also taking into consideration beach and things to do around the area.

thanks so much - the guide books dont give enough info on diving

Technically that is the early part of hurricane season, but hurricanes are mercifully rare and the rest of the time the weather is usually excellent. Rain when it comes is often at night, but it doesn't rain anywhere like every day. It's actually the best time to dive here.

Ahh - you are actually IN belize. Is it good "beach" weather then too? My parents and I are looking at the Captain Morgan resort for a week or two and they prefer hanging out on the beach or going for walks and such - so bad, rainy weather would make them very miserable haha
additionally - how much - in general - for dives there? i realize it gets cheaper with more .. but how much per dive there with full equipment.
thanks

Cap'n Morgan's is well regarded and attractive, with nice beaches. It's several miles north of the town and can feel a bit isolated, but they have a good boat service to town, you can rent a bicycle, scooter or golf cart and the trip takes 10-15 minutes, or it's a pleasant occasional walk.

Bad, rainy weather is very much not the norm at that time, though weather patterns are changing here as much as everywhere else so who know's what will happen this year? Remember though that even if it's raining it's not cold, and it doesn't stop most people. The best waterproofs are lightweight & baggy ones, because with the high temperatures you'll otherwise sweat badly underneath.

Diving went up pretty well universally this year, to try to recoup some of the massively increased costs (notably but not exclusively fuel). Generally a "2-tank dive" will now cost US$75, including all taxes but not including any equipment rental (but obviously including weights and air). For that price an operator will collect you beforehand and return you afterwards, an issue if you're staying some way out of town. Equipment will generally cost up to US$30 per day, regardless of number of dives. Nitrox where it's available will cost around US$12/tank.

Although these prices are higher than they used to be, diving has gone up everywhere and it's still competitive with Mexico. If you search around you can find posted prices quite a bit higher and a bit cheaper, and as you suggest deals can be done depending on the number of dives you'll do and the size of your party.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom