Belize on a budget?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for a place for a dive trip for the family of 4 this summer. I love Cozumel, know the town, and have a favorite dive op.....but Belize is about the same cost to get to and Bluehole is on the bucket list for me.

We Will be able to dive for 4, maybe 5 days, all OW certified, but one is 14 so will be limited to 60 feet. One of us will dive with her while the other two buddy up for deeper dives. Daughters have not dove in over 6 months but will have several "tune ups" before we leave. What we are looking for:

1. Safe location, walking distance to restaurants and local culture
2. Not all inclusive, my favorite shore activity is finding the local restaurants and food. Breakfast included is a plus.
3. Beach near by if not at the hotel
4. Grocery store close
5. Great diving at reasonable prices... I realize reasonable is a relative term but something like 5 nights lodging and 4 days of 2 tank diving for around 500 per person. (Cozumel prices)
6. Transfers from the airport or at least no "great race" experience to get to lodging and diving.
7. Not into the party vacation, but a local bar with good drinks is great!
8. Really like "sleep and dive packages"

ive read lots of the posts here and Google to the point of information overload and there is conflicting information on AC and San Pedro. I've ordered the travel guide as well. Let me know your favorites!

thanks in advance for your response,
Jay

Are you interested only in San Pedro and Ambergris Caye? Sounds like Placencia could be a viable option, too. I suggest contacting Pattie Ramirez at Splash Dive Center to see if she can put something together for you to consider. She's really good at that.

Anything is an option at this point. We don't even have dates nailed down yet due to college softball post season possibilities.

the book should be here this week. Googling placencia now!!

jay

You can get inexpensive lodging in Placencia and the restaurant meals are reasonably priced, but the diving is a minimum of $120 USD for a two tank dive. This is because of the 45 to 90 minute boat ride to the dive sites and hence the cost of fuel, etc. If that's not a problem for you I'd highly recommend diving there with Splash Dive.

Caye Caulker might suit you. Check it out.

I understand the Blue Hole attraction, but if it wasn't THE Blue Hole, it's actually not very exciting.

I've been reading about Blue Hole and watching videos and that seems to be the general consensus. Still, Belize is a retirement option so I'd like to check it out to see.

Thanks again,
jay

I have been to Belize once, San Pedro, two years ago. I was not certified so just fished and went on snorkel trips. I am going back this Saturday for a diving trip, can not wait. I was certified in Roatan last May. I am going back to Belize because the top side activities are better in, in my opinion, than in Roatan. It cost more to fly to Roatan but the diving is cheaper, lodging is cheaper and there is good snorkeling from shore. The other thing to consider is that once you fly into Roatan you are on the island, just a $25 taxi to most hotels. When you fly into BZE you have more transportation cost to get to your destination. In Roatan I stayed at Seagrape, $60 a night for a decent clean room with a pool. Dive shop very close with $30 dives including equipment. Only down side was there was a bout a 15 minute walk into the West End for food and drinks.

Ah, the draw of the Blue Hole. Even if it turns out you don't like the Blue Hole, and I mean you don't like it so much that you actually :nuke: hate :nuke: the Blue Hole, it will still be one of the greatest dive days of your life.

I don't know which travel guide you ordered, but my personal favorite is the Belize Insight Guide. Tons of high quality photographs and chock full of maps, it offers a district by district breakdown of things to see and do, place to stay, places to eat, etc. I take it with me every time I go.

I've been to Ambergris Caye several times and enjoy it. San Pedro, the main town, has several dive shops to choose and lots of restaurants and places to stay. I would not do any package deal if you are in the main part of town because, well, there's no need to. If you are further north of town (north of the bridge) or further south then it may be different.

Personally, I like being at the north end of "downtown." I have stayed at the Blue Tang Inn (The Blue Tang Inn - San Pedro, Belize) and Paradise Villas right next to it (Paradise Villas - San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize! Great Accommodations, Great Service, Tours, Excursions, Vacation Get Away!) which is a small community of condos. You are a block away from two supermarkets (Richie's and Caye Mart) and a few blocks away from Super Buy. Blue Tang offers a continental breakfast while Paradise Villlas is totally self-catered. I'm partial to Paradise Villas because of the pool. You can walk to multiple dive shops. I have had good experiences with Ecologic Divers (Welcome to Ecologic Divers!) and Chuck & Robbie's (CHUCK & ROBBIE'S SCUBA DIVING+INSTRUCTION - HOME) but everyone has his/her favorites. You can walk to lots of restaurants. You can also take day trips to the mainland very easily.

jlevine's post pretty much sums up Ambergris for me - all about the shore life, not much about the diving. Fair enough, some folks want that.

The other end of the Belize spectrum is an off-shore lodge or a live-aboard - fantastic diving, not much else.

Other destinations fall in the mid-range.

Back
Top Bottom