Belize in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbroh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We just booked our flights to Belize for a dive trip in May 2012! We are four newbie divers, and looking for some good, easy sites to dive in Belize.

Any suggestions? List of requirements would include not too deep (would like to keep it 60 feet or shallower), all open water (not super comfortable with any type of swim through yet) and seeing some neat things. Anyone have good site suggestions, or dive shop suggestions that would be happy to help us out with this!

Thanks!

Where will you stay? Belize is a small country but it's still a big place.

Oops! Probably would help to include that. We are staying in San Pedro.

Is your hotel booked - which one? - and have you arranged diving yet?

We just booked our flights to Belize for a dive trip in May 2012! We are four newbie divers, and looking for some good, easy sites to dive in Belize.

Any suggestions? List of requirements would include not too deep (would like to keep it 60 feet or shallower), all open water (not super comfortable with any type of swim through yet) and seeing some neat things. Anyone have good site suggestions, or dive shop suggestions that would be happy to help us out with this!

Thanks!

I would listen to what Peter has to say. A solid local who used to own a dive shop on the island and a man whose opinion I trust. My best guess is that he will recommend Rudy with Island Divers. Not the best website and there may be problems getting a response. On the flipside, you are not interested in buying "computer savvy" while diving.

Rudy has a well deserved reputation in San Pedro and beyond. We got back from Belize and a dive buddy asked if Rudy was still with Bottom Time. He had no idea Rudy had set up his own shop. Rudy has a faithful following of very good divers.

Personally, I would prefer to dive on the top of the reefs in SP. There is a lot more going on there than in the canyons. That should keep you in your comfort zone and give you the peace of mind that you are not missing out on anything.

Not to hijack this thread but

I'm tossing around the ideal of going to belize (instead of cozumel) in April or May but I can't really figure out a good place to stay that is reasonable. I figured San Pedro would be a good place to stay for our first trip, and it'll be me and my wife going. I was looking at the blue tang as it seemed to be very reasonable but didn't know if there were similar places that could be better. I had already written down Island Divers as a place to contact for diving if I end up doing Belize.

Thanks!

Is your hotel booked - which one? - and have you arranged diving yet?

We have not booked our hotel yet or arranged for diving. I have some ideas for both, but wanted to get feedback from people who have been there before. :)

We stayed at Paradise Villas. Nice beachfront condos that are central enough in SP that you don't need to rent a golf cart. There are two different management companies representing the property. Both are easy to deal with. You have 5 or 6 dive shops within 150m.

Get a 20L bottle of water from the grocery stores and refill your bottles. Your wallet will love you.

We are staying at in a condo at "The Landing At Tres Cocos." We confirmed our reservation today. Now just need a dive shop suitable for newbies....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom