Belize in December 3 - 10 HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erenazul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. My mom, sis and I are going to be in Belize in the first week of December.
Since I've been travelling more than any other 2, I had to be the one to decide travel
itenerary. And I need help!

My sister is going to take an open water course.
I'm experienced diver interested in going to the blue hole!
My mom likes to hangout and go shopping. Interested in doing Manatee trip.

Which island shall we go for these activities?
Which dive shop do you recommend?
Hotels? (decent price and security) good food?
First week is already a busy season?

Thank you very much for your help!

At that time Belize will still be quiet. It doesn't start to get really busy until around the middle of December, when it rapidly becomes insane. At least, that's what we all hope for!

I would say one of the two northern cayes would suit you best - mine (Ambergris Caye) or Caye Caulker. Caulker is much smaller and quieter, maybe a bit cheaper, but with less to do than AC. Some people love the relative solitude, others just get bored.

From CC you'll get to the atolls (Blue Hole) and manatees cheaper than from AC. The local diving at CC isn't very good and boats have to travel further - often they come up to AC and dive here, where the local diving is superb.

As to hotels, look at http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html to get a lot of info on what's available. It's hard to recommend any one in particular unless you give some ideas on what's important to you - convenience, peace, action, walk everywhere, need transport, budget, etc.

Many dive centers can give you what you want. Only a few actually run their own trips to the BH, and others make use of their boats. Depending on where you finally decide to stay you might want to choose a dive center in the vicinity, though most will pick you up from most locations so that isn't that important.

If you make Ambergris your choice, there is much good food to be had. Just rent a golf cart and enjoy! Hotels are numerous. It just depends on your budget. Our last trip we stayed a Paradise Villas. Nice pool. Good location. Walking distance to the grocery store. Previously we have stayed at the Sunbreeze hotel. Also a great pool and great food. Only it consisted of a "hotel" room without a kitchen. Also nice is Xanadu for the condo type room.

You'll never find Peter of Protech tooting his own horn, but his diveshop would certainly take very good care of you. My wife and I have done our local island diving with them over the last 3 years and always have had exceptional service. They are now located in San Pedro but will pick you up at most any dock near town. Enjoy your trip, Ken :42:

Back
Top Bottom