Belize for 1 day - Hol Chan or where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davezwife

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We hit Belize quick for one day (8am-6pm) off our cruise ship. We're advanced divers, and hate the idea of a cattle boat full of beginners who should be snorkeling instead.

It's been suggested we take a small plane to Hol Chan.
Any better ideas? Suggestions? Hol Chan rocks?

Thanks.

You won't fly to Hol Chan, which is a Marine Reserve, but to one of the two cayes near it, Ambergris Caye (aka San Pedro) and Caye Caulker. Either way you'll need to make special arrangements up front with a dive center, as you'll arrive after the boats have left for their first morning dives. Given that planes leave from the Belize City Municipal airstrip every hour on the half hour (approximately) and you can expect a 15 minute taxi ride to that airstrip from where you disembark the tender that brings you from the cruise ship, you'll need to work out which of those planes you're likely to catch. Then allow 20 minutes for the flight to either island, plus say 15 minutes to get to your chosen dive center (by taxi).

Having done all that, you may find you're in time for the first dive if the boat can be held back a few minutes, or that may be a lost cause and you will be able to get the second (boats normally return to dock between dives, though not always). The second dive leaves anywhere between c. 10:30 and 11:15.

You may well be able to do another dive after that second dive (which will be your first), but don't be surprised if you have to fit in with a schedule designed for other divers. You may have to have lunch before your second dive, which may go out anywhere between 1pm and 2pm.

You need up front to be sure you leave enough time to catch the last tender back to your ship, remembering that the cruise ship operators don't like people "doing their own thing" because they don't make anything from it, and they may insist that the last tender you're allowed to catch is not actually the final one. Decide which plane from San Pedro you'll need to catch (on the hour) and MAKE SURE you're on it.

If you decide to go to Caye Caulker all the above still applies, but remember that this is a request stop for planes and you must pre-arrange your departure with the airline. Otherwise the plane simply won't land. Doesn't apply to San Pedro as that is a terminus.

One more thing about Caye Caulker. Most dive sites there are further away than the SP sites, so the boats often don't return to dock after the first dive. So CC may not actually be a viable option for you.

Make sure the logistics can work and ensure you don't "miss the boat", then you can have a great and relaxing time. As to Hol Chan, it's fine if you're an inexperienced diver or have snorkellers with you, but if you're an enthusiastic diver I'd elect for two dives outside the reef off San Pedro. You probably won't have a free choice if there are other divers on board, but if you do I'd opt for Tackle Box as the first (great swim throughs at around 80ft, and a beautiful dive site) and Esmeralda for the second (usually masses of nurse sharks playing around you).

Write back if you want further advice/info.

hi peter, looks like you may have answered that question about 1 day stops in belize.

I too am coming into belize city on a crusie ship and would like to take a dive.
I read about the Cypress Tunnels on Caye Caulker, i saw your post about flights needing to be coordinated in advance.

What operators do you like on Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye?

Belize diving is too good for one day! Go to Jaguar Paw and do the Cave Tubing with your family and friends! Then go back and stay for a week and do it right! No rush and no problems!

in my opinion, I would go see one of the Mayan ruins if I had only one day in Belize. You can dive other places, but you can't find Mayan temples that close and accessible! :D I know the cruise ships offer several options in Belize. Just my 2 cents.

BA - when are you there? we are in Belize on wed Jan 14. You?

We did our dives there and just bit the bullet and booked on the cruise. We were on the Legend.
The dive boat picked up at at the ship and we went to an island out 30 minutes out from there.
At that point they dropped off the snorkelers and resort course divers and we were on our merrry way.The dive boat was not that crowded at all. We also did dive through Carnival in Honduras. Are you going to be there also? The dives there were not as pricey as the ones in Belize and I enjoyed the diving better. That is just my opinion. Hope this helps you some.

Diving for people arriving in a cruse ship is confusing for them when they google or otherwise look into diving Belize on the internet.
They see all the ads but don't realize the cruse ship comes into Belize City Harbor and is quite a distance fro all the advertisers they saw on the net. Going with the cruse ships suggestion is best. Like LynnB did.

Back
Top Bottom