Belize feedback please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Findingnemos

Reaction score
We will be travelling to Belize Jan. 19th-25th and are looking for some feedback from experienced Belize travellers. Staying on San Pedro, and trying to plan dive for 3 of the days we are there. The Blue Hole is the first thing anyone I have talked to mentions about Belize, but in researching, it seems like a complete day trip, and that there are much better sites to be explored there. Can anyone offer up info or tips on diving Turneffe atoll, and Glover's reef? We were also considering other activities while in Belize, including the Mayan ruins and cave innertubing. We've been able to find some favorable reviews of certain diving companies, and some not-so-favorable reviews of the exact same companies. How do we choose one without wasting half the trip just choosing one? Also looking for feedback on transportation on San Pedro, and to and from these activities. We can't wait to get there and have some fun! Again, any and all feedback and travel tips are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!

Only dove from live-aboards and so can't tell you which operators are better. The town is FULL of them, and so if one doesn't work out, try another.

The Blue Hole is not a really exciting dive and a really long boat ride from Ambergris. It's a full day. A good reason to do it is that it usually includes a dive on the outer reef's.

Water taxi and walking are the way to get around. San Pedro isn't that big. There are taxis if you have luggage or gear to haul. If you are going to be travelling around a lot, you can rent a golf cart.

Recommend Estel's for a good breakfast and Jambal Jerk Pit for an amazing jerk platter.

Flying to/from Ambergris on Tropic Air is a gas and well worth the extra cash.

If you are staying on the North end of the island you will want o get around via water taxi, or by the resorts boat. If south you have other options. 1)golf cart 2)bicycle 3) taxi 4) water taxi if you are way south (pelican Reef)
As for Dive Centers most are very good, Ecologic, Chuck and robbies have very good reps, as well as others such as island divers and Ramon's village. These are all in town and will pick you up from your resort. if you are north try White Sand dive shop.
The Blue hole is a good trip and IS a full day 3 dives 1st BH then Lighthouse reef and the aquarium. The other dives you should do are the local reef dives, there are too many sites to mention, All are good. If you are looking to see a lot of marine life try Hol Chan. Otherwise our reef formations are canyons and most do drift dives where the boat follow your bubbles.

I would schedule going to the Mayan ruins 1 day, ask you resort to schedule it for you. there are 2 way of getting there. 1) via boat 2) my favorite is to fly to Belize City ant then go via a van to the ruins.

I thought the Grand Maya Buffet in Elvi's(not Elvis') Kitchen in San Pedro was very good. I think they only have the buffet on weekends, but the food is pretty good there anytime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom