Belize Diving Services

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, a year ago Chip sold the business and went back to the states.

It was sold to Elite Adventures on Sam Pedro,

Some of the staff were able to transition over (from what I saw in some pictures on Facebook), I don’t know how full time, or if any moved off Caye Caulker in doing so.

This is truely the end of technical diving in Belize, as BDS was the only operator to support trimix, CCR and cave diving in the country, along with relations with the Belizean government for access to some of those caves.

I’m hope this changes in the near future, as I always had fund down there!

From thier Facebook page today…

_R

Belize Diving Services is now Elite Adventures Belize!! 🥳

Almost a year ago, BDS was purchased by Elite Adventures Belize, and we are excited to finally be consolidating our Facebook pages together for a one-stop-dive-shop! In January 2022, all updates and dive content will be on the Elite Adventures Belize Facebook page. We look forward to seeing you there!

#eliteadventuresbelize #elitediving #divebelize #sanpedro #sanpedrobelize #laislabonita #scuba #scubadiving

Do you know who started the business?

Years ago, there was a frequent poster here named Peter, a British ex-pat living in San Pedro. He was a trimix instructor and had formerly owned a dive shop that I think was also located in San Pedro. I'm wondering if he had any connection to BDS.

Back in the day there was another frequent poster from San Pedro named Gaz. For whatever reason or reasons he and Peter hated each other, and there were epic battles between the two here on this board. Gaz eventually left SP to travel the world but suffered a very serious motorcycle accident somewhere in Asia, I think, and after that slowly dropped off the board. Peter had sold his business but was a wealth of information for those headed to San Pedro. He also began posting less frequently, which turned out to be a function of his health as he eventually passed away.

Chilly, were you around back then?

Years ago, there was a frequent poster here named Peter, a British ex-pat living in San Pedro. He was a trimix instructor and had formerly owned a dive shop that I think was also located in San Pedro. I'm wondering if he had any connection to BDS.

Back in the day there was another frequent poster from San Pedro named Gaz. For whatever reason or reasons he and Peter hated each other, and there were epic battles between the two here on this board. Gaz eventually left SP to travel the world but suffered a very serious motorcycle accident somewhere in Asia, I think, and after that slowly dropped off the board. Peter had sold his business but was a wealth of information for those headed to San Pedro. He also began posting less frequently, which turned out to be a function of his health as he eventually passed away.

I know all of the history and corresponded with them both. I missed any dustups here, so I guess before my time on the board.

Why they hated each other is a mystery to me but then, there's a lot of that kind of thing in the diving world, especially in a small highly competitive area.

Indeed
Well, a year ago Chip sold the business and went back to the states.

It was sold to Elite Adventures on Sam Pedro,

Some of the staff were able to transition over (from what I saw in some pictures on Facebook), I don’t know how full time, or if any moved off Caye Caulker in doing so.

This is truely the end of technical diving in Belize, as BDS was the only operator to support trimix, CCR and cave diving in the country, along with relations with the Belizean government for access to some of those caves.

I’m hope this changes in the near future, as I always had fund down there!

From thier Facebook page today…

_R

Belize Diving Services is now Elite Adventures Belize!! 🥳

Almost a year ago, BDS was purchased by Elite Adventures Belize, and we are excited to finally be consolidating our Facebook pages together for a one-stop-dive-shop! In January 2022, all updates and dive content will be on the Elite Adventures Belize Facebook page. We look forward to seeing you there!

#eliteadventuresbelize #elitediving #divebelize #sanpedro #sanpedrobelize #laislabonita #scuba #scubadiving

Indeed Chip wasn’t the first owner, but he carried on technical and cave diving opportunities to those that were looking for it.

Now there is none. The new owners don’t have the interest or capability (I don’t know what happened to the rest of the equipment)

_R

Going there in a couple of weeks. I know one of the co-owners of Elite, hope to meet the other one. They have been talking about doing some CCR classes/dives, and said they do have one (1) tech instructor on staff. But I haven't met any of them yet, and all questions about sorb/O2/bottles went to the void... I'l report back when I'll know more.

Update. Elite Adventures, the company in San Pedro that bought BDS, claim they have everything sans helium. I'll be there in a week, so stay tuned on how Belizeable this info is.

Update. Elite Adventures, the company in San Pedro that bought BDS, claim they have everything sans helium. I'll be there in a week, so stay tuned on how Belizeable this info is.
Please let us know how it goes, and of any staff that made the move!

_R

Will do - but I didn't know the old BDS crew. I know Chino, Big Joe and some other folks. If you give me names I'll check

Update: while the Elite shop was initially in disarray, they managed to pull things together. Sorb was found - they have 7 - now 6 - kegs. 3L bottles were found and corrosion was cleared off the valves (OMG they looked awful, but now they work). 40' bailout was found - several; but I was glad I brought my rigging. They can fill O2 - both their and my analyzers agreed on 99%. So say yes to CCR in San Pedro!

The only - obvious - downside is that all divers here are OC, so the dives are pretty short. Working on that too...

Final update - was talking to Major, who is now a boat ap. He said he's the only one left from BDS. The new shop - Elite Adventures Belize - Belize Diving with Elite Adventures - is supportive of CCR diving but currently I have the only CCR on the island. Working with them on pricing and figuring how to bring people here. I think they will struggle to support more than 3-4 CCR divers simultaneously.

Back
Top Bottom