Belize dive itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adimi24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, I'm going to Belize in 2 days for 7 weeks. I will be doing reef survey stuff up in the North at Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve near the fishing town of Sarteneja. I have a week free after this expedition to get to my flight home from Cancun.

This was a very last minute trip so I know very little about Belize and the Yucatan. I know I want to do the Lighthouse reef/Blue hole dives ( I was recommended Frenchie's diving by the organization I'm volunteering with, any experiences with them or any other agencies?). What other spectacular dives are there in Belize and how much time would I neably just focus on diving ) I'll have to get back north to Cancun so maybe I should focus on the Yucatan. What other spectacular dives are there in Belize and how much time would I need?

I am on a budget and will be traveling by local buses and staying in hostels as much as possible. Paying for actual dives will take up most of my money.

I have no PADI certs, I will be getting my OW and advanced OW during this volunteer expedition. I also might be able to do EFR and some other certs but I doubt it.

Sounds like you won't have much time for your "work". OW & AOW, Blue Hole. It's 2 days of bus travel to even get close to a location to take you to the Blue Hole, one way. How did you quailify for a reef survey if you haven't been diving all along? Just curious:D

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 06:45 AM ----------

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 07:10 AM ----------

See your post in Mexico diving: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/450779-belize-cancun-itinerary.html

Last edited:
Sounds like you won't have much time for your "work". OW & AOW, Blue Hole. It's 2 days of bus travel to even get close to a location to take you to the Blue Hole, one way. How did you quailify for a reef survey if you haven't been diving all along? Just curious:D

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 06:45 AM ----------

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 07:10 AM ----------

See your post in Mexico diving: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/450779-belize-cancun-itinerary.html

Haha I didn't really have to do anything..As soon as we get to the dive camp people who dont have certs start working on their open water and advanced and then we can get into the research. I would've stayed for the next 6 week phase too so I could do more work on the reef but that phase is already full..

So do you think I should just go to Mexico instead of trying to get places in Belize to dive?

Given your limited time and budget, I'd recommend that you make your way back up the peninsula. Find a place in Playa del Carmen and do some cenotes and other diving from there. Cancun is just an hour up the highway.

Come back to Belize when you have more time (and $$).

Diversteve, thanks for the link, I had read about Pedro's Inn in a guide book - according to their site, rooms start at $10!

Since I don't have much time I guess it makes sense to pick one place and stay there. Would Playa del Carmen or San Pedro be more interesting for 5-6 days ( will have 20+ dives and Advanced Open water by then )?

That might be a good plan, Downing, thanks.

Probably pretty comparable. Both towns cater to tourists so lots of night life if you're so inclined. I was thinking PdC because it's on the way to Cancun so less travel time and more kick back time. If you like ruins, you could check out Tulum, right off the highway, Coba, a little further off the highway, and even Chichen Itza, way off the highway. Diving cenotes has to be cheaper than a Blue Hole trip from AC and there's some pretty decent ocean diving around PdC as well. Heck, you could even hop the ferry and do some diving off Cozumel.

AC would require the better part of a day just going and coming, but I'm sure you'd enjoy yourself while there.

It's not as if there's a right or wrong answer here. Just depends on what you want to do this time. You can always come back and do the other next time.

Probably pretty comparable. Both towns cater to tourists so lots of night life if you're so inclined. I was thinking PdC because it's on the way to Cancun so less travel time and more kick back time. If you like ruins, you could check out Tulum, right off the highway, Coba, a little further off the highway, and even Chichen Itza, way off the highway. Diving cenotes has to be cheaper than a Blue Hole trip from AC and there's some pretty decent ocean diving around PdC as well. Heck, you could even hop the ferry and do some diving off Cozumel.

AC would require the better part of a day just going and coming, but I'm sure you'd enjoy yourself while there.

It's not as if there's a right or wrong answer here. Just depends on what you want to do this time. You can always come back and do the other next time.

Yes, that makes sense to me. I'll hit the rest of Belize on another trip. I'm way up in the North near the border so going anywhere else in Belize is kind of out of the way.

Where would I stay when I want to dive the Cenotes, Tulum? How many cenotes/days would you recommend? Would it be worth doing some sort of cavern/cave diving course?

Tulum, Akumal, or Playa del Carmen are close to thecenotes. If you're looking for a "cheap" place to stay, a hostelmaybe, there are a number of them in PDC (http://www.hostels.com/playa-del-carmen/mexico).Tulum and Akumal are mostly large resorts, etc. The cenotes are close to thecoastal highway. Your dive shop would take you there if you feel comfortablewith your buoyancy (critically important). Most of them don't recommend thecenotes for newly certified divers. Do some ocean diving first & let thedive instructor decide if you might be up to the cenotes. Have fun!

I agree with what's been said. It'll take most of a day each way getting here and although Pedro's is cheap (and good) it'll cost getting on for US$300 for day trip out to the Blue Hole, which in any case I wouldn't recommend so early in your diving career. But if you do decide to come here, you catch an ADO bus in Playa del Carmen (or Cancun City) to Chetumal and catch a ferry from there direct to San Pedro. There's only one ferry a day, in mid afternoon.

From my experience I don't think much of the diving or most of the dive centers in PdC. I'd be inclined to go further south and stay in Tulum, where there's good diving and of course the Mayan ruins to see. I'd skip the cenotes for now unless you turn out to be an exceptionally good diver. If you think you want to try them, by far the most professional dive operation in the area is Protec, based in PdC and I believe with a satellite operation in Tulum. They focus on cenote and cave diving here and in Europe, but also do some open ocean stuff. They can quickly assess you to see how suited you might be to easy cenote diving.

Back
Top Bottom