Belize City - Barrier Reef Dive Operation Alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

Stopping at Belize City for just a day via a cruise ship later in December. One of those tourists, no, not really. Turns out cruise ships offer a great way to get around, at a fraction of the cost of air alone ignoring all the other costs currently at the trade off of limited time on the ground. I've been able to hit a lot more spots this way than might have happened otherwise, this year alone.

I've been in communication with Hugh Parkey's operation and Sea Sports. Neither one is working out for what I would like to do. Sea Sports is already booked and Parkey's operation is limited by their contract with the cruise line for SCUBA only. Anyway, would very much like to hook up with a dive boat involved in SCUBA diving charter to Turneffe Atoll or even better to Lighthouse Atoll if feasible (seems like it is not however, takes too much time).

The complicating factor is that I would like to scooter free dive as shown in a bunch of videos including:

Short Video's, Free Diving Palancar Wall - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Free Diving Caves Of The Labyrinth, Claudia Reef, Red Sea - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

VIDEO - Free Dive the Vandenberg! - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

and many others at: Something Rich And Strange ... Diving Tales From The Water Underworld - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Working in with a SCUBA charter is easy, do it routinely. At the same time, am running low on alternatives out of Belize City. Suggestions would be most welcome. Could do a regular SCUBA dive but the video will suffer, bringing four midget video cameras this time including 2 HD units.

Thank you!
Rick

So you want to rent an u/w scooter? Not easy.

And you want to do your own thing outside of what the cruise ship has available? Risky - if you don't make it back when the cruise ship says it wants you back it WILL leave without you.

All of that said, it's quite easy to get to the Municipal airstrip in Belize City and fly up to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. On CC you'd need to use Belize Diving Services. On Ambergris Caye there are lots of operators, tho' the only one I know with scooters currently available for rental is Island Divers.

Just a few ideas.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am bringing the scooter and extra batteries so no worries about that. I just want to find a boat to take me to Tunneffe Atoll that allows free diving failing making it to the Blue Hole. Yes the timing is a critical issue and they will leave if you aren't there by cruising time. I will look into your suggestion, thanks again.

Rick

So you want to rent an u/w scooter? Not easy.

And you want to do your own thing outside of what the cruise ship has available? Risky - if you don't make it back when the cruise ship says it wants you back it WILL leave without you.

All of that said, it's quite easy to get to the Municipal airstrip in Belize City and fly up to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye. On CC you'd need to use Belize Diving Services. On Ambergris Caye there are lots of operators, tho' the only one I know with scooters currently available for rental is Island Divers.

Just a few ideas.

Last edited:
Did some checking on the nearer island to Lighthouse Atoll, Caye Caulker. The boats leave that island before 8 am perhaps as late as 9 am.. The earliest we are tendered ashore at Belize City may be around 8 to 8:30 am. All the operations I have spoken to leave at 6 am for Lighthouse, so the Blue Hole seems to be out. Do you know of any dive boats out of Belize City running to Turnneffe other than Sea Spray and Hugh Parkey's operations? Sea Spray is booked and Hugh only takes out SCUBA divers to Turneffe.

Thank you!

No, there aren't any others in Belize City. I should have said that atoll trips customarily leave earlier than you can make. There is also a considerable risk that they would get back too late for you, so I strongly advise you don't even consider an atoll trip. Remember that you don't have to get back before the cruise ship sails, but before the last tender that will take you leaves the dock. That will NOT be the last tender, as they give absolute priority to people on their own trips, both in terms of getting off the ship in the morning and getting back in the afternoon.

As you don't need to rent a scooter you could fly up to either of the northern cayes and go out with any of the dive centers. I'd arrange it beforehand as you'll probably miss the usual schedule of 9am departures, and you want to make sure there'll be a second dive you can join at somewhere around 11am. The afternoon dives will generally leave at 2pm, so you need to ensure you can get back to the ship in time. You may want a second dive over lunch, which it may be possible to arrange but don't rely on it. A lot depends on just when your visit is - if it's over Christmas then don't expect any flexibility to cater to your particular requirements - everyone will be too busy.

Thank you for the word on Belize City. I had about arrived at the same conclusion after searching for a while. I agree, visiting the Blue Hole represents a poor risk. Concluded the same thing about flying over to the blue hole at Dahab, Egypt from Hurghada a few months back. Can't always fit everything in, this time.

I was daunted by the early departures indicated by the operators on the cays I contacted. Will get in touch with some more about the 11 am prospect. Thank you again for all your input and the caution about limited flexibility at this brisk time of the season.

Did some checking on the nearer island to Lighthouse Atoll, Caye Caulker. The boats leave that island before 8 am perhaps as late as 9 am.. The earliest we are tendered ashore at Belize City may be around 8 to 8:30 am. All the operations I have spoken to leave at 6 am for Lighthouse, so the Blue Hole seems to be out. Do you know of any dive boats out of Belize City running to Turnneffe other than Sea Spray and Hugh Parkey's operations? Sea Spray is booked and Hugh only takes out SCUBA divers to Turneffe.

Thank you!
Just so you know, I went out on Hugh Parkers boat Wednesday to Caulker ...I was freediving, they were a bit concerned initially, but then were totally fine with it. In other words, they should be fine with you once they realize you are a freediver rather than a snorkelor.
Dan

Glad it went well Dan, and thanks for the phone call cancelling our arrangement. Many people wouldn't have bothered.....

Thanks Dan, did you visit on a cruise ship? Also, how was the reef?

Just so you know, I went out on Hugh Parkers boat Wednesday to Caulker ...I was freediving, they were a bit concerned initially, but then were totally fine with it. In other words, they should be fine with you once they realize you are a freediver rather than a snorkelor.
Dan

Thanks Dan, did you visit on a cruise ship? Also, how was the reef?
I was in Belize City on business ( flew in). There were mostly cruise ship people on the charter boat. I was the only person freediving.
Next month, when I go back, I will bring my c-card and scuba on the Caulker site, as it is deep enough that freediving is really the "wrong tool" to enjoy this the best way. I did have fun freediving it, but I would have enjoyed taking a deep drop down the drop off, which starts at about 65 feet deep...so just about the time an average freediver hits a comfortable bottom point-the dive is just really starting.
There is some 35 foot patch reef where the boat anchors, but you will need to stay with the scuba divers, meaning you will pass through this zone in a mnute, and then be in much deeper water.
Regards,
Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom